1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Creating Fire Using the Old Technique

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by gracer, Aug 13, 2016.

1. gracer

gracer Explorer

Hi guys! :)

Well, it has been taught during scouting activities and in most nature trips I have joined in but of course when we go camping, we usually use fire starters in creating fire for our cooking and heating. I have tried starting a fire using the old technique of creating friction between two wooden sticks with my two boys. It was really a fun and fulfilling activity for me and my family. There's a different kind of thrill in being able to create fire from nothing and from exerting a little bit of effort.

Have you ever tried doing the old technique in starting a fire? How was your experience with it?

campforums likes this.
  2. missyify

missyify Survivalist

I really want to try the bowdrill method. I haven't, yet, but that might be a good project for next week. I'm really feeling ill this week and backed up on work... But it'll give me something to look forward to besides sewing a million diapers lol. Plus, each kid can have their own "bow". I may even make them small individual fire pits. Don't want them to go burning down the whole neighborhood.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

gracer likes this.
  3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

How long did it take you to get that going? I've tried many times but I have never been successful, do you have any tips?

4. gracer

gracer Explorer

@campforums Well I can't say that I am now an expert at this but I'll share how I did it anyway. :) At first, I had a lot of attempts before I was able to start fire using simple wooden sticks but after countless trials, my first experience starting a fire using wooden sticks took me almost an hour to complete. Quiet long right? Lol My husband was faster in creating fire though because he scraped fine pieces of tinder from dried branches of trees and plants around us then rubbed the wooden sticks together above the tinder. It took him around 20 minutes to finally start a fire. Right now, I'm trying to learn how to use bamboos in starting a fire because I heard that it is faster than using regular wooden sticks.

Draft saved Draft deleted