1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Creating Your Own Fire Starters

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by kevinkimers, Dec 9, 2014.

Tags:
  1. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Novice Camper

Here is a video for you guys to watch, unfortunately it will not allow me to embed. It is instructions on how to make your own fire starters. Great information for any occasion. Here is the link there.

Recipe for Fire Starters

2. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

I have seen similar things suggested also; but have not tried it myself. How well did it work for you when you made it and took the starter along for your campfire? Did it take you more than one of these, or does one do the trick? When you made your fire, do you still use the same amount of kindling that you usually do, or does it catch fast enough that you didn't have to use as much kindling?

The campfire starter that i saw the instructions for was kind of a savings tip, as well as for going camping. It just said to save your toilet paper rolls, fill them with the lint from your dryer, and then you could take an old candle, light it, and let the melting wax drip down into the dryer lint. It was basically a fire starter made with stuff we all throw away all of the time. it was also supposed to be wonderful for starting your BBQ, which is what i am likely to use it for.

3. My, these are complicated, messy and dangerous solutions. Try taking a cotton ball and some petroleum jelly (e.g. Vasoline - very flammable) about 1/3 the size of the cotton. Knead the two together and you have your fire starter. One spark and it will bust into flame and burn for a few minutes. You can pack a lot of these into a small container so they are practical even for backpacking. For more on this, and tinder in general, see my blog post on the topic.

campforums likes this.
  4. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

A friend of mine melts wax and mixes in fine sawdust and puts it into cupcake tins and adding a wick, removing when cold. There are great for starting fires when camping or at home in a fireplace. Without them it would have taken me a lot longer to lite a fire in his fireplace.

5. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

I have a woodshop, so the sawdust and wax thing is a no-brainer for me. I've made 'em using cardboard egg cartons, filling each section up just enough to leave them easy to rip apart.

6. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

Why does that link take me to a sign up page for Trailer Life?

7. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I think you would probably still have to use the same amount of kindling, a fire starter really only replaces the tinder. So you still need sufficient kindling in order to get enough heat for your larger logs to catch.

Yeah, I got that too. I can still view the video though.

8. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

That's odd. I run Firefox with an Ad Blocker and No Script, so I'm used to having to allow exceptions to see videos on most pages. When I went there yesterday, I couldn't see any video no matter what I did. Just now, I saw the video is all about the egg cartons.

9. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Yeah and other things... Well like @ExplorePathfinder said it is messy!

Draft saved Draft deleted