1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

dangerous GIANT hogweed...

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Northern Dancer, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

The Giant Hogweed [Heracleum mantegazzianum] is a plant native to Asia. It was likely introduced to North America as an ornamental garden plant. With no known diseases or insect pests the plant has escaped into the wild and has become an invasive species which threatens our natural ecosystems.

It is now invaded many regions of the world, including Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom and the United States.

It's huge resembling Queen Anne's Lace, Angelica, and Cow parsnip. Unlike native species Hogweed can grow up to 5 metres [15 feet] tall and has an herbaceous stem 5 to 10 centimetres in diameter.. The stem and leaf stalks are hollow, covered with coarse hairs, and are often purple-spotted.

So... what's the problem? :rage:

If you touch the clear watery sap from the plant's stem or hairs, you could experience a reaction within 48 hours.

On skin, sap can cause sensitivity to sunlight. This can cause painful blisters and burns, which could lead to pigmented purple and black scars. In eyes, sap can cause temporary or permanent blindness.

WHAT SHOULD YOU DO IF YOU COME IN CONTACT WITH IT?

Wash the affected areas immediately with running water.
    Avoid touching your eyes.
    Stay out of the sun for at least 48 hours after contact with the sap to prevent a skin reaction.

SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION!

I've seen this plant growing along the Grand River where I live. I reported it to our local health officials as requested.

One of the principle problems is that it attracts attention - usually children - who are enamoured by it's size and peculiar look and like to stand under the plant like the man below.

121y78m.jpg

CHECK WITH YOUR LOCAL HEALTH OR PARK OFFICIALS TO SEE IF THE PLANT IS IN YOUR AREA.

Be safe, Play Safe!

2. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Where did it come from? Were people stupid enough to plant it and it got free or what? It seems like most people would recognize this as a problem.

3. Northern Dancer

Apparently ordinary people didn't recognize it as a problem and that is probably why it is particularly dangerous - especially to children who think that it simply a big plant. Like the killer bee that is half way up the United States and heading for our part of the forest someone was careless about considering future complications.

4. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

The minute you start burning/itching you'd think you'd be trying to kill it off not plant more - even the Killer Bee is more an escaped experiment rather than a deliberate amount of stupidity.

5. Northern Dancer

Nice to see you on line...

The reality is that there are a whole host of things that are spooky. Take earwigs for example - not native to North America - but they sure are now. Right up there with the Zebra Mussels.

6. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Nah, it's why there is such a big to-do about checking exports/imports. Many things have been brought over through shoddy cleaning practices and sneaking in things they don't really know anything about. People really suck at the whole Steward of Nature thing - because laziness and convenience man.

7. Northern Dancer

Agree...then there are those Burmese Pythons in Florida - man seeing one of these creatures might make me wanna pack up and go home.

8. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

In most areas of all countries, there are evasive animals and plants, that when transported in from other areas take over and cause crop damage and block water ways, eat native creatures and even as this plant take over and are dangerous to human health. We only have to look at how pythons are causing grief in the Everglades and like said the killer bees and fire ants, are moving north. But it seems those in charge of watching out for these problems only take notice when it is too late.

My ex owned three of those big snakes at one time. the last one we had was big around as a telephone pole and 12 feet long, when it died.

9. Northern Dancer

It seems that way. Unless, of course it begins to cut into prophets; then it becomes a whole different matter. They could have stopped the killer bee but the nations in the hub just wouldn't co-operate.

They have tried some experiments in Canada to determine if the cold weather would be a deterrent - it failed. We are waiting for them to arrive - just like limes disease.

10. 2sweed

Maybe we will get lucky and the roundup protected gmo crops or the bee fungus that is killing honeybees will be doom for them as well.

11. Northern Dancer

There seems to be a whole host of problems and issues. So many that on occasion I just put them out of my mind and simply enjoy what I can.

12. 2sweed

I hear you. Everything is such a mess to think on it all the time would drive you crazy. Need to stop by and enjoy the wild flowers and clear ones mind to the beauty all around us and try to do our part in protection and cleaning up.

13. Northern Dancer

Right on.

I had a student one time who quoted an old English poem, "I shall see as nothing as beautiful as a tree, paused, and then added his own line, and then I saw a deer prance by."

14. 2sweed

Then a hawk soared by and after that a flock of turkeys gathered in a clearing Then a black bear stood up. And I watched.

bear.jpg

15. Northern Dancer

...like it!

16. 2sweed

Back to the giant hog weed. Is anything being done to get rid of it along the river? Seems it could cause a lot of damage to the area if left unchecked. The fact that is dangerous as well as toxic would be of great concern to those who live and walk the river banks.

17. Northern Dancer

In this jurisdiction it is listed as a dangerous plant. Warnings are posted and citizens are asked to report any sightings to local Health Units , Ministry of the Environment or the Ministry of Agriculture.

18. 2sweed

Good! Sounds like they do care and are making the effort of informing the public and doing something about it.

19. Northern Dancer

It's back in that it is spreading faster than first expected. [Like everything else I suppose.]

UPDATE

Keep alert when encountering this plant. If you discover it advise your local Health Department.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEhDQgYfameuS2XpIloVbSzTBawV19CNDBJicZUQ9pZKHhQ7LzQw.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSslRfJ38oaX03r2LLcP5YihFmbzD6GNQpikGntTYBQ94HoKZPxVw.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFEjYsDI8iEp6FumyY5lsCM7SRalXTIRRV_V5OFJ05GTQL720n.jpg It can be dangerous - especially children.

20. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I always used to have bad experience when I was a young kid. I seemed to have a knack for encountering bad reactions with bugs/insects wherever I went. One time I got bitten by a horsefly when I was up at a friends cottage and my entire eye was swollen up so bad that it was hard to open. It didn't need any crazy bandages like the kid above though.

Draft saved Draft deleted