1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Dangers in trail hiking

Discussion in 'Trails' started by Alexandoy, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

During my scouting years, we developed that habit of hiking in the woods with a walking stick particularly if the trails are grassy. Snakes can be everywhere according to our scout master and a walking stick greatly helps to prevent a snake bite. When walking, the stick is used to grope the trail ahead so if there is a lurking snake, it will be stirred and probably be amply warned of the arriving human feet. Snakes tend to leave when it sense intruders in the area. As they say, it is better safe than sorry. Get a stick and be safe in your hike.

2. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I take a walking staff when I go hiking. It is about as tall as I am, and is from a dogwood tree that grew in my yard. It comes in handy for what you mentioned about snakes and the added support for getting up or down in steep environments.

3. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...my favourite walking staff is carved maple. It has a bark twirl with natural wood showing. I have some of those walking pins attached - the ones made especially for walking staffs. I have another one that is made of pine that I like for canoe trips as it is light. On occasion - when the circumstance warranted it I have cut a staff.

IMG_0344.jpg

4. I like the commercial versions - much lighter and adjustable for height. I started with a staff, but switched over to a pair of trekking poles when I got into backpacking. In my case the poles have a camera mount on the top so they make a great monopod - beats carrying around a tripod. The poles I'm using now are fairly inexpensive Trekker FX from Mountainsmith. They are also spring loaded to take some of the impact out.

Northern Dancer likes this.
  5. rz3300

rz3300 Explorer

Little things like holes in the trail are actually a lot more dangerous than many may think, and I have almost had entire trips derailed due to ankle injuries due to things like that. This is of course on top of the other things like wild animals and dangerous plants.

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  6. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

It is my custom to use the marked trails. For sure there are risks - but then one is supposed to be ready for such realities and prepare accordingly.

IMG_0654.jpg IMG_0607.jpg

IMG_0612.jpg IMG_0617.jpg forestted.jpg

So. What do you want to do?
    Walk around the block and smell the car fumes?
    Or be out here where nature captivates the soul?

IMG_0937.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmPSUMOgoywoYK-haUbLg_otzXJxusS14MXAwgcychJdYW3GQtnw.jpg

upload_2017-3-24_20-15-27.jpeg

"Life doesn't get any better than this."
    What life are we talking about?

7. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Here is a danger most of us really want to avoid. The moral of this story is always look carefully around yourself and check out the ground carefully before you sit down. If this does ever happen to you don't move a muscle, don't talk, don't wiggle your fingers, just wait it out and hope it goes away.

8. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Nope. That would be it for. Good bye world. Even if it didn't bite me, I would be in a state of lala land the rest of my life.

Draft saved Draft deleted