1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Dick Proenneke - Settled in Alaska in 1968

Discussion in 'Nature' started by 2sweed, May 29, 2013.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I am really big on watching video's to learn how to manage in the wilderness, as well as, watching and reading about those people who lived in the Canadian and Alaska wilderness areas and settled in to make a life there. The other story about Christopher McCandless, was sad, but it gave me something to think about and in a way haunted me for several days. I guess because he reminded me of friends who had that same wanderlust, yet they made it out alive and he did not.

However, another man I have read about and watched video's about was Dick Proenneke. He settled in Alaska in 1968, lived in a cabin owned by a friend until he got his own cabin built. He made a lot of his own hand tools and built his cabin by hand, as there was no electric for power tools. I find his life as a simple escape into the wilderness a peaceful time and a time of sightings of many wild animals. I am providing the link and hopefully you will enjoy his story and come back here and comment on what you have seen.

http://youtu.be/LP-3N_00TOk

This forum is a great place to share the camping skills of the old timers and also the do's and don'ts, of being out in the wilderness areas and the beauty of nature. Please share your thoughts here...

2. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I think this man was amazing. He settled in a remote part of Alaska, built his own cabin by hand, no power tools, and even created some tools by hand. He fished and hunted, and kept a journal of his entire life and everything he did. The video, is only one of many of this man's life. Take the time to watch it and then please come back and comment on what you learned from this older man.

Draft saved Draft deleted