1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

DID YOU GO TO SUMMER CAMP?

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by Northern Dancer, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

5l73m1.jpg
    I would love to hear from others about the summer camp
    that they went to as a child or youth.

And if you are bold, the antics that you can share in a public place.​

For me it was the Toronto West End YMCA Camp Norval, gone now. The experiences that I had and the people that I met contributed immensely to the person (and maybe the character) that I am today.

Let's start off by hearing about your experience,
    keeping in mind
    those who grew up in the camping environment will
    appreciate what you say
    - though others might not have a clue. :)

2. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

I went to summer camp for at least two years. It was a Christian summer camp, and located along the edge of a beautiful lake near Coeur d'Alene , in northern Idaho. We went boating, learned how to row a boat; and of course, we swam every day. Hayden Lake was a clear lake with a sandy bottom, and perfect for swimming. There are no venomous snakes in North Idaho; so there was never any worry about being bitten by a snake.

One of my favorite parts was the craft time that we had. I loved doing the leather work, and was able to learn some basic leather-tooling. When I was in high-school and in Arts and Crafts; I also took leather tooling, and made a tooled bridle, breast collar, and saddlebags with a picture of my horse drawn and colored in on all of the pieces. I am sure this was because of the first experience I had at summer camp. We also did leather lacing in camp crafts. I enjoyed that project, and it was kind of a little leather key chain/key holder that I made for my mom, and she used for many years after that. At night, they would make a nice campfire, and we all sat around the campfire, and sang songs, which I loved doing!

After that, those of us who had signed up for the astronomy class looked up at the starry sky and learned how to find the big and little dipper, "arc to Arcturus, and speak to Spika". I am not sure that I can still find all of the stars anymore, but I very much enjoyed the class and learning more about the stars. We also had a few little donkeys at the camp, which we got to feed and pet, and even go for a small trail ride. Since I was crazy about horses anyway; even getting to ride the little donkey was wonderful to me. All in all; summer camp was a wonderful childhood experience for me.

Edit to add: I wasn't really at summer camp for 2 years. I only went for a week at a time, but did that twice. Just so you all know, my mom was not trying to send me off to camp and leave me there. I was a very good little girl.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  3. actadh

actadh Pathfinder

I went to Girl Scout Camp in Potomac, Maryland http://www.vintagegirlscout.com/siterock.html

There were wonderful trails, crafts, camp food, and songs. I felt like I fit in, which was rare for me as a kid. As an adult, I realize that the camp leaders did a good job of making sure everyone was included and limited the cliques that have a tendency to form in groups.

img187.jpg

4. Northern Dancer

....really good stuff actadh and happyflowerlady .

How about the rest of you? :) I know there are more of you.

:) SUMMER CAMP MEMORIES :(
    Try roasting Starburst.
    Sounds crazy, but it’s actually delicious.

Crunchy on the outside, warm and gooey on the inside.

Roast it until it’s bubbling.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
    happyflowerlady likes this.
  5. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

When I was young, every summer a local group would have a summer camp event in our local park. We had good food to eat and did crafts which I enjoyed, but I hated playing the many games which included a lot of running and tagging. I was not good at sports and opted out of those activities. Even thou the name implies camping we were not staying over night in the park but went home every afternoon. However, as a family we went camping a lot.

6. Northern Dancer

...thanks for your contribution 2sweed, day camp is camp for a lot of people.

Aw yes...and then there were those silly pranks
    fun stuff - but still pranks.
    Do you remember putting the cellophane over the toilet seat
    and making sure the kybo light was out at night?

7. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

What in the world is Starburst? I have never heard of it; but maybe we called it by a different name out in Idaho. I remember there is a fruit called starfruit, is it the same as that? I don't remember playing any pranks when I was at camp, or even having someone do that to us. Probably because it was a Seventh Day Adventist Church camp, and the kids were all pretty well-behaved. And I have NO clue what a kybo light is, or why you have to make sure that it was out at night..... please enlighten us, Dancer.

2Sweed, I didn't do good with any of the running kind of games either. My ankle would always turn when I ran much, and then I would be hobbling around until it stopped hurting. And I hated any kind of games that involved a ball of any kind. I have no depth perception, and the thing would hit me in the head!!
    Reading suited me much better.....

8. Northern Dancer

That is the fun of being an international site - we get to learn about other stuff. Silly as that might be. :)

Starburst -
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRx4pLEN3MQwyhvsgMMc5ZazDB6ummtxjKue3QOpcPruh2AKuzDVA.jpg Starburst in a packaged candy.

A KYBO is a nickname for -

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVLLhvxWKzhjadwPGwghsoDnyKVWYo-0yEqBLstNcyKC1Za9Y.jpg Outhouse - comes from Australia I think.

We turn the light out so one cannot see the cellophane under the seat. I know I know...it's really juvenile...but then again....I was a juvenile.

...and then there were those terrible underwear flags.

upload_2015-1-12_23-4-24.jpeg

and not to be outdone...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS18TqCyzakChjTmixuX8-JhZ_WuditjjSs5dcv7XfdOHhFQzCoDQ.jpg

:bear: It's hard to believe that he has grown up now and has more than one responsible position in the community.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
    happyflowerlady likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted