1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

DIY for people who can't DIY.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Bibsoutdoors, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Sadly, I've virtually no artistic ability at all. That is a truth. But moved by frustration I can get just desperate enough to try my hand at things otherwise left alone. For example, UCR's and Whoopie slings. They cost a lot of money and for what? A couple pieces of Amsteel weaved together. I purchased a pair of Whoopie slings for my Clark Jungle Hammock, actually two pair, one for my wife's hammock, for a cost of just under $100. I tell you that so I can tell you this. I watched half a dozen videos on Utube on making Whoopies and another half dozen on making UCR's, what I saw blew me away. I picked the videos I had the easiest time following, I purchased some Amsteel that was three times stronger then what they sell commercially and I played the video, paused it, did the work on my amsteel and in no time at all I had both Whoopies and UCR's at a tiny fraction of the commercial cost. As a matter of fact for twenty dollars I was able to make two pairs of Whoopies and two pair of UCR's with extra cord left over. Retail would have cost @ $180+ for the smallest Amsteel, the best part of this is I MADE THEM MYSELF! Me, the guy who can't make anything. I guess my point is, try it, especially since it is so much cheaper and so much better quality. Try it, even if you're like me, it will work! 89d5569c9ee6ba5e54e4bdaedb4f3e40.jpg 1d40a76748fa700659575c29310cb5e4.jpg 8f513bf3f33be7ccea0065802012fa8c.jpg

This was so encouraging I did something equally as simply and enormously cost reducing as well.

I've never spent my summers in a climate that would be considered "pleasant." I've always been in heat.

Washing down or even synthetic sleeping bags is a pain.

So I made a sleeping bag sheet. An insert for the sleeping bag. This is not my idea, it's been around for ages. The cost is just hideous. You can buy them but why? Again, on Utube follow along with a video you find easy enough to follow and sew them. My wife and I have both a summer insert and a flannel winter insert. The added warmth the flannel insert gives is worth ever second spent at the sewing machine. Washing either one is so amazingly simple compared to your sleeping bags you'll wonder why you haven't done this all along. I've even used the summer insert as a sleeping bag replacement when it gets too warm for the bag. 6c06d303627cc907dcd9baa8d51f7feb.jpg 81811e23f599fc31fc9577ff3717c838.jpg

People have been using and doing these things forever. (Making them themselves) Fear kept me far away from trying. Don't let yourselves get frustrated like I did, just give it a try and save yourself much money and enjoy a sense of accomplishment. Not knowing me I have to adj you to trust me, if I can do it ANYONE can. Good luck and please share your success stories back here with the rest of us! Cheers, Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors

Attached Files:

2. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

My most recent attempt to "fly without wings!"

I ordered a Sportsman Space Blanket (they are heavier constructed than mylar and not much more weight.)(12 ounces)

I opened it up and right in the middle I placed a grommet in the space blanket.

Then you disconnect the stretchy cord that holds up the bug net to the ridge line. fish that line through grommet and reconnect it to the carabiner then hook it back up to the ridge line.

At the head end I cut off a good 25 inches from side to side so that when you lay it out your head end is open and you can exhale without filling the Amok full of condensation. If your warm, raise the bug net from inside and lift it away from your body. If your cold, lower the shield closer to your body. All you have to do is reach up and raise and lower the inside bug net adjustment (toggle) you are set.

I resewed the trim on the end I cut off, just for looks, makes it look more finished and complete. 21a39253e5ae1d1c59601158da83a61d.jpg de08de75bcf28d31e425d94b9a91d46f.jpg 65627812882d4fb0f218b95735974dd1.jpg

Bibsoutdoors

Attached Files:

3. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...fantastic stuff @Bibsoutdoors I like your style. I often find myself saying, "I can do that!" Then sometimes I can and other times I can't - but the fun is in the trying. And there are those rare occasions you come up with smart idea that wins the applause of colleagues.

I'm still toying with the idea of purchasing a camping hammock...but then again I have my eyes on a new Out Back tent. Decisions decisions decisions.

4. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

ND, I feel really hesitant to say this because people are so different. Besides, you may all ready know these things. For what it's worth: if you do decide to try a hammock, consider how you sleep. Are you a back sleeper, side sleeper, stomach sleeper, maybe all the above? Are you used to being cramped, how do you feel about shoulder pinch? Your weight and height will narrow your choices of hammocks as well. The first hammock I've ever laid in wrapped around my shoulder, the weight of my body caused a thing called shoulder pinch. I found that uncomfortable and problematic when I was hoping to be sleeping. These things bother more people than who will admit it after spending their money on a product. Misery loves company as they say. If your six feet tall or under, under 300 pounds and sleep in multiple positions I honestly would suggest looking at the Amok Draumer 3.0. It does require a "special" sleep pad but that cost is no more than a under quilt which you won't need with the Amok but will need with any other hammock. Any temps under 70°F will give you a thing called "cold butt syndrome" (CBS for short.) The air passing under your hammock takes away the heat in your hammock causing you to actually feel cold in temps as nice as 65°F. The Amok doesn't have that problem because of the insulated pad you use to give the hammock it's shape. Oh, I could go on and on. If your interested in learning more I'll be happy to share. I will honestly tell you this in closing, I've never slept as wonderfully camping as I have in my Amok. Turning, rolling, adjusting your sleep is as easy as turning over in your bed at home! Good luck with which ever you decide to go with.

Bibsoutdoors

5. Northern Dancer

Good advice.

This is the model and brand that I was looking at -

The Safari Jungle Zip combines all the best features of the Deep Jungle XL and the Safari Deluxe Zip. This new design is deeper, wider and more comfortable for taller, larger people or even for cozy couples whose combined weight does not exceed 350 lbs/160 kg. A double layer of 40 D nylon makes this model more mosquito resistant and also accommodates the Radiant Reflector Pad XL for cooler temperatures. This model has a side entrance, strong # 10 zipper and double wide 70 D hex fly. This is perfect for people who want the extra room length and coverage of the Safari but also want to be able to add insulation when needed. Side entrance zipper closure with strong #10 zipper and two double sliders. The Radiant Double Bubble Insulation Pad XL is designed to work with this model and is available for purchase separately. Radiant Double Bubble Pad XL

Then again - I'm still looking at the Out Back
    Naew_Out_Back.png 2359-cbe19115252fd6a2633a5e238c0acd8f.jpg the Hennessy

Attached Files:

6. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

They are so radically different from each other it would be fun to learn how you made your decision to go with which ever you decide to go with.

Bibsoutdoors

7. Northern Dancer

XXXXX <->

:bear: Baden Bear here, "When Northern Dancer can't make up his mind do you know what he does? You got it...it buys both!" :)

8. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

!!!! That works also !!!! 50867fafff4b0c63c341d34897e16356.jpg I can see the clerks eyes now! Ha ha.

Bibsoutdoors

Attached Files:

Northern Dancer likes this.
  9. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

UPDATE NEEDED FOR YOUR FILES: @Dancer

Tent, hammock, hydration bladder?? What are the thought processes going on up North?

Bibsoutdoors

10. Northern Dancer

----->
    ...you forgot the new camera. I've put together and already improved my kitchen counter top, I made a new two person camp table, one night stand, and debating if I should take along a portable platform for my tent. I'm resident for three weeks the first time round. Other than that 90% of the food is purchased, most of my cloths are packed, the foot locker is full to the brim and all the lists are complete. :)

:bear: Baden Bear here, "ND wouldn't want to give anyone the impression that he's tad fanatical about camping."

11. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Throw some pictures of all these things you've been working on.

Bibsoutdoors

Draft saved Draft deleted