1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

DIY Heat Shield for the Amok Hammock

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by Bibsoutdoors, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

I ordered a Sportsman Space Blanket (they are heavier constructed than mylar and not much more weight.)(12 ounces)

I opened it up and right in the middle I placed a grommet in the space blanket.

Then you disconnect the stretchy cord that holds up the bug net to the ridge line. fish that line through grommet and reconnect it to the carabiner then hook it back up to the ridge line.

At the head end I cut off a good 25 inches from side to side so that when you lay it out your head end is open and you can exhale without filling the Amok full of condensation. If your warm, raise the bug net from inside and lift it away from your body. If your cold, lower the shield closer to your body. All you have to do is reach up and raise and lower the inside bug net adjustment (toggle) you are set.

I resewed the trim on the end I cut off, just for looks, makes it look more finished and complete.

Give it a try, I think you will be amazed at the difference it makes!

898dcdb6cfa111da8c9772fa02753f87.jpg

8aaeae087276c1d767cd248cef948a45.jpg

9f6ef04e362a4b4a4992cffc31f0f513.jpg

Looking down from the top

881c4134925c48a17cc909cebaabf10d.jpg

11d31a56d6dee32a1ef4d40593e50170.jpg

I hope anyone with this type of hammock, looking for some heat retention in the early spring, autumn and winter will find this helpful or possibly stimulate a different idea. Cheers Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors

killeroy154 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted