1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Do Citronella candles work? Whats the best brand?

Discussion in 'Nature' started by ashley0323, Aug 14, 2016.

1. ashley0323

ashley0323 Novice Camper

I am wanting to buy some insect repellent supplies before our big trip. I need to find something that will repel mosquitos, so we dont get bitten all up. I found some citronella candles that you leave outside while lit, and it is suppose to work. Anyone try these? Do they work well? Is any brand better than a different brand? Thanks!

2. gracer

gracer Explorer

Hi @ashley0323! :)

I love using natural mosquito repellents and citronella is one of my favorites. I have never used citronella candles though but I have used citronella lotions and patches. They have been effective in keeping away mosquitoes for hours especially during the night when our guard is down. I think any brand would do as long as you can smell the strong scent of the citronella. :)

3. missyify

missyify Survivalist

I've only tried the huge incense stick looking things and the worked ok as long as there was a "perimeter" created. I stepped out for a few minutes and it was like they were waiting lol. Also, they're not fun to keep the kids away from if you stick them in the ground.

I have a hard time finding sprays since a lot of them have ingredients that at least one of my kids is allergic to. I found one spray and one stick but I haven't really used them yet.

Maybe I'll just cook a lot of garlic lol.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

4. gracer

gracer Explorer

Oohh! I actually tried using garlic cloves to repel mosquitoes just recently because of the emergence of too many of them these past few months here in my area. I just peeled the cloves one-by-one and put them near our bedroom windows to keep the mosquitoes from coming inside our room. I have also just planted some garlic in my garden together with some citronella plants. I've been kind of paranoid with mosquitoes lately because of the increasing cases of Dengue fever in our country so I had to do something to protect my family. I think I might as well bring with me some garlic the next time we go out camping. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted