1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Do you bring a mosquito net?

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by whnuien, May 18, 2014.

1. whnuien

whnuien Newbie

One thing that really annoys me when I'm out for camping or being in the jungle is when mosquitoes come and start biting me everywhere. Taking mosquito net is very important to me so I can put it all over my hammock to avoid from getting bitten while sleeping at night. I prefer to use the insect repellent only at day time and when I'm active so it can last longer.

Would you bother taking the net with you or would you prefer to use the repellent only?

2. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Not sure about a mosquito net for use here in Pa, but it might be handy at times during the hot humid months. I had always thought about buying one of those netted hats though thinking it might help keep no-see-em's and deer flies away from my face and neck. I usually use just used insect repellent during the daytime and hid under the covers at night. In Florida, I could have used that net to keep the mosquito's away.

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I have one of these things that I wear sometimes:

1a+NetHatGirl.jpg

I don't have a large net like you are describing that can cover a hammock but usually I am inside a sleeping bag so I just wear this on my head and the sleeping bag protects the rest of me.

4. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I don't have a net but I do have a full jacket. I use a bug repellent with as much deet as the health people suggest but I rarely use it - I don't like it. In our neck of the woods the bugs, including the mosquitoes are at their worse in May and June and then, for the most part, they tend not to be a hindrance or a bother after that. West Niles Disease, a new disease that is carried by the mosquito, has been causing some concern of recent date in this country. I use excellent tents so at night I don't have to worry about the pests or other native insects either.

Draft saved Draft deleted