1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Do you eat more or less than usual when you're camping?

Discussion in 'Food' started by campforums, Oct 24, 2015.

?

Do you eat more or less than usual when you're camping?

1. I eat less

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. I eat more

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  3. I eat about the same amount

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I was wondering, do most of you guys eat more or less than you do at home when you're camping? I've found that this varies a lot from group to group depending on how many of the group members like to cook, what food was brought with, what other activities the camp site offers other than eating, and of course how much of an appetite everyone worked up setting up the camp site. So what do you say?

2. CherylTorrie

CherylTorrie Novice Camper

I enjoy cooking over an open fire so I pack well and eat well. Something about being in the fresh air all day and moving around makes me feel as if I am hungry too. I try not to pack anything that would be considered junk food because I can eat junk food any time (even at my desk :) ) Learning how to prepare my favorites like enchiladas or taco salad with corn bread without an oven or stove was tricky but once I managed the conversion I enjoy them even more now. And when you are cooking an unusual camp dish you get visitors. Not everyone wants what the packed so I'm always sure to bring enough to share.

campforums and Northern Dancer like this.
  3. Sonjiskica

Sonjiskica Newbie

I usually eat round the same amount, and it is also the safest thing to do.

campforums likes this.
  4. campforums

Thanks for your feedback

5. campforums

I agree, cooking is one of the things that occupies the most time at my campsites.

6. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

When my brother and I go, we usually pack all kinds of food. We eat like chow hounds. We love cooking over an open fire, and nothing beats fresh fish. Which the fishing part is what determines where and when we camp. and

campforums likes this.
  7. campforums

Do you use a fishing rod?

8. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Yes. We only keep enough for a meal. Most of the time we bass fish, but if we can we will try for a couple walleye or crappie for eating.

9. campforums

Have you ever gone hungry when the fish weren't biting?

10. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

We never expect to catch any, so we always bring food. But if we do catch any, we only keep enough for one meal. I would starve to death if I had to depend on my fishing skills.

11. campforums

Haha, me too... me too :D Fresh fish is a nice treat though, you can taste the difference

12. camilia

camilia Newbie

i don't go camping a lot , but when i do i eat less because i prefer spending time exploring and doing things that i can't do at home rather than eating

13. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

14. Faust

Faust Explorer

I eat more, far more.
    My BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is 1500, based on the Harris Benedict Formula to maintain my body weight I need 2325 calories.
    I figure my easy 3 hour fishing trek with a light load I can burn 1300+ calories and I go at least twice a day (once at dawn and once at dusk).

So on a low key "average" day just fishing and putzing around camp I need around 4500 calories, twice what I need for an average day in town.

15. SashaS

SashaS Novice Camper

Due to my parents always over packing and hoarding, which made me go insane when I was a kid, I always pack light. I prefer a more organized and efficient lifestyle so as a result I usually only pack enough food to satisfy myself, not extra. I usually just pack some meat to go on the fire, steak or chicken and some packets of crisps/sweets and flavored water. I don't camp in the wild like a complete cave man, I usually sleep right by my car/tent so I guess I have never been in a situation where I would need to get food from the environment. I'd prefer not getting in trouble as a result of taking something from the environment, e.g fishing, since laws here with regards to that are rather strict. So I stick with food I buy at the shop.
    So to sum it up I usually eat the same/a little less, for the sake of keeping the luggage at a minimum, less unpacking and throwing away to do when I get home anyway.

16. sonya2930

sonya2930 Newbie

I tend to eat more when I am camping because all the walking around and hiking and swimming makes me more hungry. I also eat more junk food when camping like hot dogs and smores so I think I walk more because of that.

17. Pretorius Bernadis

Pretorius Bernadis Novice Camper

I definitely eat more. I don't keep regular meals so I always have something to chew or bite on. The fresh air also seems to give me that extra appetite and also the fact that you use a lot of energy when you are outdoors...being on the move most of the time.

18. Hobbit

Hobbit Novice Camper

Because preparing and cooking food is not as stright forward as being at home I find myself cutting back on the amount of things I throw together.
    Still have the same amount of meals but there is usually less in them.
    I'm busy with doing other things that I don't really get hungry, just eating at set times out of habbit.

19. gracer

gracer Explorer

I usually eat more when I'm in the outdoors, either from a long hike or while camping. There's just something about the outdoors that make me eat more especially if the food is freshly grilled. I guess it also has a lot to do with all the activities outdoors that makes my body need more food for additional strength and energy. :)

20. ashley0323

ashley0323 Novice Camper

Definitely less. I tend to eat out of boredom at times. If I am busy and active or camping, I do not get bored, meaning I don't eat, except maybe once a day before I go to sleep. As bad as it sounds, I am go-go-go all day while camping.

Draft saved Draft deleted