1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Do you know how to swim?

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by joker, Jan 7, 2013.

Tags:
  1. joker

joker Newbie

Do you know how to swim and did you ever swim when you went out for camping?

I know how to swim but not when camping.

2. Toxique

Toxique Newbie

I do know how to swim, I have ever since a child. But no I just fish when I go camping.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Newbie

I don't know how to swim because I grew up poor and we didn't have a pool or really go to the beach that much. I have it on my bucket list of things to do because not only is it a safety issue ,but many people enjoy swimming for fun and I'm missing out on that. It would be empowering to look at a large body of water and NOT think "Wow ,if I fell in there, I would definitely die."

4. TABL

TABL Explorer

I know how to swim, basically. I don't know the fancy strokes or anything. But I can swim and I like to!
    When we go swimming I'll swim at the beach, unless I want tor read my book :)

5. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

Yes and no.

I can swim underwater just fine. So if you give me a snorkel, I'll stay under the surface for hours.

I can't really swim above the water, though. So technically I would drown if you just toss me in the water because I can't tend to get my head above the surface, lol.

6. joker

joker Newbie

I always swim in swimming pools etc, never at the beach.

7. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Where did you live? In my area we have several public pools as well as a YMCA that gave out free lessons to kids. So that is how I learned to swim. Well it certainly helped me along. Having my uncle attempt to murder me by throwing me into a lake and watching me flail about like a complete spaz for 30 minutes is actually how I learned swimming.

8. joker

joker Newbie

Most likely not in USA, England and Canada.

9. charity

charity Newbie

I know how to swim, I learned as child taking lessons. I have gone swimming while out camping, though I would prefer to swim in a pool where I can see the bottom and whatever is floating around me.

10. PAPA!

PAPA! Newbie

To be honest i have been to swimming a lot but very bad at it :(

11. shylambert

shylambert Newbie

I'm from Philippines. I can swim a little, but I prefer swimming in the pool. We've camped near a 5-floor waterfall before and I just stayed on the first floor. The water was not deep so there's now way to swim. We just enjoyed the sound of the water falling from the falls. It was a great experience!

12. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I've been swimming since I was a child, I think its a very important life skill that everyone should learn. One day it may even save your life!

13. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

I learned to swim at a community pool right next to the beach. The pool was salt water plus chlorine so I guess we were motivated not to take too long to learn.

I did swim and kayak on vacation in HI but usually do not swim when camping and the water in florida is mostly too muddy. Plus in the summer you can get attacted by the "Killer Amoeba" which only show up when the water temp is high for a long time. Unfortunately that's most of the time in the summer!

14. TabithaW

TabithaW Newbie

Yes, I know how to swim. I think knowing how to swim is a necessity for safety sake. Both of my kids can swim of. My daughter picked it up and was swimming by the time she was about 8. My son had to take lessons but was swimming by the time he was 10. I think learning to swim is important. I wish I had taught my kids younger.

NaturalBeauty_35 likes this.
  15. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Are you referring to me or ASPCA? I'm from the USA, but this particular uncle is legally defined as insane... which is why he's the fun one.

16. Fitness

Fitness Newbie

I've known how to swim since I was a little kid. My grandparents had a small cottage near a lake. So it was important that all kids in my family could swim. I also used to swim for exercise. The fitness club I worked at had a nice lap pool and since swimming is a great way to exercise mixed it in with my other workouts. I've never swam while I was camping though. Waded in water, but that is it. Most of the time it would be impractical for me since I am lugging around a bunch of photography equipment and don't get back to the campsite till after sunset.

17. Angelle

Angelle Newbie

Unfortunately, I do not know how to swim. As a child, I was never interested in doing anything that pertained to the outdoors, or executing something that involved movement--I was very lazy. Now that I am an adult, I have grown to love the outdoors. When the opportunity presents itself, I will most definitely learn how to swim so that I could actually swim during these camping trips in lieu of standing in the water. Isn't it a drag when everyone is swimming in the water, and you are the only standing there? That could be extremely boring so hopefully I will learn how to swim, and master it.

18. Peaceweapon

Peaceweapon Newbie

I do know how to swim and I love it. I used to swim a lot more when I was younger than I do now. I like to swim when I'm camping but sometimes it can be hard to find water that is suitable for swimming. I don't like swimming in water that is really cold when camping because the last thing I want is to get sick when I am away from home with limited medical supplies. Rivers are great to swim in, so long as the current isn't to strong.

19. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Guys, this is what the "location" profile field is for! :rolleyes:

20. Karto

Karto Newbie

Yes, I spent the whole last summer swimming on a daily basis and learned to quite well.

This summer is going to be the same.

Daily run to the beach every morning! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted