1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Do you know how to swim?

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by joker, Jan 7, 2013.

Tags:
  1. hissae2

hissae2 Newbie

I can swim, but I'm not an expert swimmer or anything. I rarely go swimming when camping because I have the local beach just down the road from here, which I do swim in occasionally, and I also have the local recreation centre. I used to have a pool at my house as well so I used to swim in that often which was fun, but now I can just rely on the neighbours pool this summer (their pool is much bigger anyway). I don't swim nearly as much as I used to now any more though. :(

2. lindsay365

lindsay365 Newbie

I actually don't know how to swim and every time I see a large mass of water I get nervous. I would definitely want to know how to swim at one point in time

3. shaneparkins

shaneparkins Newbie

I can swim however I would not say I was a particularly strong swimmer i.e. facing a current. When I was in school, many moons ago, I did a lifeguard training scheme at my local swimming baths however due to not swimming for many years I don't think I could comfortably swim in a place such as a stream or river for a long period (longer than 5 minutes).

I think it's important that someone can swim in your group but not something that is essential. It's also great to go swimming when you find still moving water such as a waterfall. Saying that, you do need to know what's in the water i.e. (parasites).

You can join your local swimming baths who normally have an adults swimming class.

4. axm6557

axm6557 Newbie

I was thrown in swimming lessons when I was about 3 years old. My family does a lot outdoors and it was a skill that I definitely needed at a young age. I have been known to swim some while camping at a lake, but I prefer not to. It's the nasty factor/safety in the mud and I really hate wearing aqua socks. If i'm out on the sea-doo where I can jump in without touching bottom or into a snake pit, I will cool off a bit. It's rare to see me swimming in a lake though.

5. lindsay365

lindsay365 Newbie

I am hydrophobic. I never swim whenever I go on a camping trip. I have never drowned so I would not say that I fear water because of my past experience. I have also never stepped foot on ocean waters. I do not like the idea of feeling powerless while in a pool of water. Anything can happen you know. I do not have any idea how I am going to get rid of this phobia. Can someone explain how they overcame their water phobia?

6. Junkbots

Junkbots Newbie

I took swimming lessons with a daycare program I was in during elementary school. They enticed us to swim across the pool with candy. Needless to say, the whole group learned quickly! I love swimming while camping because the sun and increased resistance tire me out quickly which help me sleep on non-ideal surfaces :D

7. lindsay365

lindsay365 Newbie

I actually noticed am not the old one out in this group who cannot swim. If feels good though knowing that you are not alone. Though I would want to learn swimming in future, I don't know how I am going to get rid of my phobia. Has anyone been in a similar situation as me? My girlfriend has been encouraging me to go for swimming lessons to spices up things but I don't feel like doing it because of my fear.

8. Libragirl67

Libragirl67 Newbie

I love to swim. And living in Norther Michigan my kids and I swim everyday in the summer. I taught my kids to swim when they were babies. As soon as I get out of work I am joining my boys at the breakwall on Lake Michigan. Yes, when we go camping that is definetly something we do is swim. In the winter sometimes we go to the hotel pool and swim. The local hotels charge $5.00 and let you stay as long as you like.

9. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

I learn how to swim at the age of 10 and I have swam in lakes, rivers, and the ocean. When I do go camping and we are nearby a large body of water I'll take a dip. Make sure whoever goes swimming with you can actually swim and are comfortable to swim in a lake or pond.

10. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

When I was young we were to be taught to swim in the YMCA pool. I was not good at floating let alone swiming. One day when the teacher said we all had to jump in the deep end of the pool I was non too happy, but was willing to try. When I jumped in the teacher was using a safety hoop to help any students that were sinking and not popping up right away. She was letting some of the other students man the hoop, and so when I jumped in they let me sink and kept the hoop out of reach. Finally they put the hoop near me so I could grab hold of it and get out. When I complained they laughed at me. I refused to get in the pool again.

Later my mom took me out in a local lake and said she would hold her arms under me so I would not sink. She lied. I again went to the bottom, and was too afraid to try again for a long time.

When I moved to Florida, we had a large lake on our property. Everyone went swiming and I really wanted to be a part of the fun of going in the lake. I learned by wearing a safety floatation vest and swim fins. One day I removed the vest, but with the swim fins I was able to swim. By wearing googles I even swam underwater. Now if I choose to swim I wear my fins and can go in deep water without fear.

11. mVd

mVd Newbie

I learned how to swim when i was about 13 years old. After that my skill has diminished quite a bit, although i do believe i wont drown when forced to swim.

12. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

I only have a phobia of needles, but maybe you could try baby steps. A tub, a kiddie pool, the shallow end of a pool, the deeper end, the shallow part of a small pond, etc. Just take your time and wear a life jacket.

I would not advise you doing what my uncle did to me i.e. dumping me in the middle of a lake and leaving me to drown. It worked, but still... I could have died.

13. Kementarri

Kementarri Newbie

I learned how to swim when I was very young and had a similar experience as Esperahol, my step-dad (at the time), decided it would be a great idea to just throw me into the pool and leave me there to learn how to swim. It was only 4 feet deep and the family stayed on the deck to make sure I didn't drown, but lets just say that I was not impressed at the time. I really don`t enjoy swimming though, so swimming while I am camping is not really a fun thing for me, needless to say I just don`t swim. I prefer hiking or canoeing, or reading a good book at a look out point.

14. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

... Yeah the whole being dumped into a body of water to die thing isn't the best method. It was apparently effective, but really not the best idea anyone ever had. Still I do like swimming and sometimes it's the only way to get across when I'm hiking off the path in search of adventure.

15. bigteeth96

bigteeth96 Newbie

I am a basic swimmer, so I can't go very fast or far. I think it's because my form is inefficient and it wastes energy. I can run much farther compared to how much I can swim.

16. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

@2sweed
    I don't know how your post before, but I'm sorry you were apparently traumatized for a while. I don't think your mom was lying really it's just that the "how to ride a bike" technique isn't as effective in water.

17. bigteeth96

bigteeth96 Newbie

I think I want to actually get good at swimming because it is great exercise and actually a lot of fun. I want to be able to save someone, not just myself.

18. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

So does that mean you can't swim or that you wish you were a better swimmer? I will say that it is good exercise and very low impact - great for the joints. That said the first step to being able to save someone is to recognize that most people aren't going to drown like they do on television.

19. Absolutely, I definitely can swim. I was born and raised in the Caribbean and swimming is my passion. I have been living near the ocean all my life. I learned how to swim at the age of six. I can remember when my parents used to take me out into the ocean, and they will teach me how to swim.

From ever since, I will go swimming almost everyday when I have a chance. I enjoy going swimming, especially on a hot sunny day... :)

20. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

I wish I could swim efficiently, I just use all my energy because of the wrong technique. For some reason water always gets into my nose

Draft saved Draft deleted