1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Do you know how to swim?

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by joker, Jan 7, 2013.

Tags:
  1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

That's a shame, but I bonk my head on the edge of pools all the time also and my eyesight it just fine haha

There are also prescription swim goggles available if you find glasses your glasses keep coming off @Northern Dancer @actadh

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

:(

The Optometrist's office mentioned that to me - but I turned it down. I can be a bit lazy and I just didn't want to be changing back and forth. They had those clip (by magnate) sunglasses. I bought those - expensive, stylish and I lost them.

3. campforums

Aha, one of the reasons I never spend much on hats, glasses, gloves or scarves. I am always losing them!

4. Northern Dancer

___________________________________________________________ :bag:

That's so re-assuring...I thought I was the only klutz.

:bear: Dancer isn't implying that you are a klutz...he's just...I don't really know actually - he's on his own.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  5. campforums

Yeah, I would say the basics are just flail your arms and legs and remain calm (don't forget to breath). Although unlike dogs, many humans take swimming lessons in order to improve their technique.

By the way, welcome to the site Emily!

6. campforums

I am not a klutz! I can just be forgetful sometimes :oops:

7. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman Explorer

@Northern Dancer hm, actually I have no plans, just visiting my Girlfriend, that's it for the moment!

8. Northern Dancer

:)

Planning gets you more of what you want out of life. Ever say to yourself - "Where did all the time go?"
    It would be great to get back all the time I've wasted just sitting around.

2sweed and Saul Goodman like this.
  9. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman Explorer

thats totaly true! I am trying to not waste too much time with things which are not primary targets in life! I'll give lots of time to my friends, to my Girlfriend and sometimes even to my Mother (aaaand! just for you, i spend lots of time for school) ;-)

10. Northern Dancer

:happy:

GOOD STUFF!
    Probably because you are a good man in the right sense of the term.

11. campforums

A new one already? ;)

Amen to that! When I am tight for time I like to plan everything out on a calendar and write a "to do" list to keep myself on schedule.

Saul Goodman likes this.
  12. Northern Dancer

:angelic:

"Amen"...now that's an interesting word. It means so be it and that is a good way to think in terms of planning.

:bear: Talk about planning - you ought to see how fast he can pack and be on the road.

campforums likes this.
  13. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman Explorer

No hehe still the old one:happy:

14. Northern Dancer

:rolleyes:

Somehow I can't see you dating anything old.

Saul Goodman likes this.
  15. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman Explorer

Said this wrong ^^.. but actually she is one year older than me :stop:

16. Northern Dancer

;)

I'll never tell.

Saul Goodman likes this.
  17. Pretorius Bernadis

Pretorius Bernadis Novice Camper

It's quite funny to see how many people cannot swim. When I was a kid we had to steal away from home to go swimming, because my grandfather didn't want us to...he was afraid we would drown because we never had any formal swimming lessons. So he thought we would drown. But we did it anyway and that's how we taught ourselves to swim. I grew up in the rural areas and it was quite easy to find rivers and pools where we could swim. Once my grandfather took our clothes...we ran away when we saw him coming...and we had to return home stark naked...and got a hell of a hiding for our mischief. But that never stopped us from doing it again and again.

happyflowerlady likes this.
  18. GenevB

GenevB Newbie

I am a very good swimmer, however, I try to reduce to just fishing when I'm going out camping, if there appears any situation that demands me to swim, I know how to do that and I know my place very well, I used to be a lifeguard at the black sea for a few summers. Anyway, I prefer just fishing, but it's really great for me and more importantly for others to know they can relay on me if any situation appears.

19. Hobbit

Hobbit Novice Camper

Myself and my brother could swim before we could walk. Our parents were very boaty people (not the rich kind) and we would often be so far out we couldn't see land.
    Thought nothing of just jumping off the side, I can't remember not being able to swim.

I don' tend to swim when out now as I'm more a fan of walking. Swimming and then walking always causes something to chafe.
    Where I live is surrounded by sea so I will drive to the water, swim and drive back.

20. camping

camping Newbie

Yes I know how to swim, but swimming under the controlled conditions of a swimming pool and swimming in a fast flowing river, both are completely different experiences.

Due to the flow and the current in the river, I haven't swam during camping. In the areas where I usually camp, the current of the rivers is simply too strong to hold your place in water.

Draft saved Draft deleted