1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Do you know how to swim?

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by joker, Jan 7, 2013.

Tags:
  1. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

We go to the fitness center here every other day, and I love swimming there. I am still surprised how many people just can't swim, even in the swimming pool, which is much easier than trying to swim in a lake where the bottom drops off, or in a fast-moving current in the river.
    We have those thngs called "pool noodles", and people use those to float, and even ride on them and paddle around the swimming pool. Other people use one of the special floater belts and they swim using that.
    The fitness center does give swimming lessons; but it seems like most of these people who can't swim do not even want to try and learn.
    I learned to swim when i was just a little kid, and when I was raising my kids, we always went to the nearest lake or river to swim in the summer; so they all learned to be good swimmers, also.

2. ashley0323

ashley0323 Novice Camper

I have known how to swim since I was a young child. I will also be teaching my children how to swim very soon. I feel that it is a life skill and everyone should know how, for safety reasons.

3. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

One good thing in being a boy scout is that you learn survival techniques and methods. Swimming is an important skill to learn because you don't know where you will be going camping. In a tropical country like ours, the most attractive campsite is one that is near a lake or river obviously for swimming. The basic swimming taught the boy scouts is the technique of floating. That's all you need and you have a weapon against drowning.

4. EricBTTA

EricBTTA Novice Camper

I always swim while out on my canoe trips, I swim less during the months of October and November as the water is frigid, if I’m out there for more than a week at a time better believe I’ll jump in the water, even if for only a few minutes, it’s how I stay reasonably clean while I’m out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. EricBTTA

EricBTTA Novice Camper

On white water trips, I also like to body surf in suitable rapids, granted I have my SFRO level 3 and my NLS certifications. But I would advice against this if you aren’t in a group setting, missing the safety gear (whitewater helmet, paddling pfd, throw rope and river knife) or aren’t a strong swimmer

Northern Dancer likes this.
  6. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

-----> Really enjoyed your posts @EricBTTA. The whole idea of tripping is to enjoy the water or in your case body surfing. Sounds fantastic. It would sensational if you would post some photos. As for me, I'm in the water as often as I can - our summers, as great as they might be, are still short. :)

7. EricBTTA

EricBTTA Novice Camper

I’ll take photos and video for ya this summer, just waiting for the snow to melt

Northern Dancer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted