1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Do you own a boat?

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by TABL, Jan 11, 2013.

1. TABL

TABL Explorer

I'm just curious!
    We do not own one. :( We'd love to, but we just can't justify it right now. We had a boat back when our daughter was a baby, but it was too much with the little ones. Not to mention, very expensive in gas!
    The kids ask for one all the time, but we can't do it.

So do you have one? And if so, what kind?

2. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

Nope!

We used to have a couple little row boats for when we were fishing out back on our own pond. I never really trusted either one, though, lol. I would love to have a nice, large boat at some point.

3. Toxique

Toxique Newbie

Nope, My family could get one if we wanted to but my dad won't buy a boat simply because we won't use it that much and all the storage stuff is too much of a hassle. I'm sure he'd rather use the money to invest in a building or something else.

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

You can probably get away with a fairly inexpensive one if you live nearby a small lake/river. But in an area which tends to have rough waves you probably need something larger, which you're right can be expensive.

5. PAPA!

PAPA! Newbie

I live in a side of the world where river, camping is unpopular but yes in my home country I used to own a boat.

6. charity

charity Newbie

Unfortunately my family doesn't own a boat. We have been talking about getting one for years, but we now have an infant grandchild that lives with us, and I am not sure it is in our best interest to get one now. I would love to have one, maybe when she gets a little older.

7. TABL

TABL Explorer

If we ever got a boat, we would want to get a tube, my kids love tubing!
    Also those big trampolines for the water...., fun stuff!

8. About halve a year back I had a rather large river boat with beds and a kitchen in it! It was awesome!

9. TabithaW

TabithaW Newbie

No, we do not own a boat. We do love our canoe though. It's easier to store and tote about not to mention a whole lot cheaper. We really enjoy paddling about. If you like being on the water but are afraid of the 'boat' investment I would recommend buying a canoe. You might really enjoy it.

10. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

I have always wanted to own a boat but it has always been out of the question financially. I have been lucky in knowing others who have invited me out on theirs. I always chip in for gas or snacks to help out "the cause".

11. TabithaW

TabithaW Newbie

That's a good idea R. Zimm. Make friends with people who own boats. LOL. But seriously, it sounds like a good deal to me. If you buy the gas and snacks it's a win-win for everyone!

12. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Nah. Despite the amount of water kicking about it doesn't really make sense in my situation to put out for one. Maybe when I finally retire I'll get one - but it'll be a houseboat versus just a boat. An RV for the water.

13. Angelle

Angelle Newbie

No, I do not own a boat but someday I wish to have one. I think that would be a great asset to have because it's something you and your family could do to get away from reality. I have been on a boat once, and I loved it. So, that is one of my goals in life. I don't which kind that I would purchase; knowing how I am, i would probably purchase the one that is the least expensive. I would to have all of my life's saving to go one a boat. I really don't think it matters, just as long as it is safe, and able to go out into the water. :)

14. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Boats don't necessarily have to cost you a fortune. However I believe you probably have a motor boat in mind. There are a lot of used boats available for a lot less. Just like with cars there are a lot of people who never buy brand new because it simply is not worth the price premium over a comparable used one.

15. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

If you are going to buy a boat make sure you pay cash for it. If you can't buy a boat cash ,then you can't afford one. You wouldn't want the boat to be a family bank breaking burden. Remember you will probaly use it only a few times a year and the rest of the time it will be sitting next to the garage.

16. shaneparkins

shaneparkins Newbie

I've been thinking about getting a boat for sometime now however I don't think I can commit myself to one place, I don't have the transportation to carry it either. If I do get a boat - it will be a big one in a hot port somewhere when I am rich and famous :) I bet there is nothing better then sunning it up on a port of your boat :)

17. CampAllDay

CampAllDay Newbie

No, but I'm hoping to buy one before summer starts.

I want to take my family out of trips, it would be great since my area is full of great lakes.

18. Libragirl67

Libragirl67 Newbie

My ex-boyfriend had a speed boat. We had alot of fun with it. We would take the kids tubing all the time. But know since he is an ex, we do not have a boat. And I don't know if we could ever afford one. And even if we could, you are right the gas is expensive.

19. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

I think that when I retire it could happen. Then I would have the time to maintain the boat and use it as well. I'm thinking of something under 20 feet, outboard motor powered. Mostly for cruising and fishing rather than skiing.

Another thing is that you need somewhere to keep the boat otherwise the storage fees add up too. If I had a big enough plot I would think about keeping my eyes peeled for a fix-r-upper which would give me something to work on too. Might be able to afford a motor boat and a sail boat that way.

20. bigteeth96

bigteeth96 Newbie

I don't, but I'd like to have a little row boat one day. I mostly camp on land, but being on the water a little bit could be lots of fun. Who knows. I would need a life jacket as well ;P

Draft saved Draft deleted