1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Do you pre-make any foods before going camping?

Discussion in 'Food' started by ashley0323, Sep 18, 2016.

1. ashley0323

ashley0323 Novice Camper

I am curious if anyone else does tons of cooking the day before heading out to go camping? Is it just me? I have three young kids, my oldest being 5, youngest is only 1. I tend to pre-make some meals before leaving, that way I only have to heat it up when its time to eat. I do this primarily because... kids. They choose when they are hungry, and when they realize they are "hungry" they have to eat NOW and not wait 5 seconds for a meal to be done. This is mainly my one year old by the way! lol

2. missyify

missyify Survivalist

Sometimes, if I have enough warning. We always have plenty of snacks, though. Even at home my kids will be snacking up until mealtimes. The whole spoiled appetite thing doesn't exist for them lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Sometimes I will partial mix certain ingredients if I know I will be cooking to make it easier once I get there. For example I will chop all the veggies and put them together in a bag for a salad or burger condiments, or measure and mix spices for seasoning.

4. Faust

Faust Explorer

I do for the most part as I plan every meal. Tracking my caloric intake requirements based on loose calculations if I'm doing specific hikes/trails/boating etc, it also makes cooking, least the prep work easier, quicker and less of a mess & clean up and you can better manage your time.

For kids, the quick hot snacks I know off are ones you can make in a pie iron, and there are oodles of recipes and most only take 4 - 6 minutes to cook. Just Google "Pie iron recipes". My favorites are pizza and sloppy-joes but I usually opt for a less heavy food option like a tuna melt or BLT. Sometimes I'll use an English Muffin or pita bread in lieu of normal bread.

5. scrapper

scrapper Novice Camper

Na. I bring my portable gas kitchen with me and lots of non-perishable food (rice,coffee, dry meat,etc.). You can light a bonfire using local bush with kindling twigs and a tinderbox with charcoal and stuff; but tech is convenient.

6. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

It depends on the type of camping. When it is a family camping trip then it's a given that cooked food is on the menu. But when it is a boy's trip then no cooked meals. The most we have are raw materials for cooking but usually we don't bring any food and we just rely on what we would catch in the campsite.

7. Madman4800

Madman4800 Survivalist

We like to cook pasta dishes like spaghetti and meatballs or Alfredo with chicken freeze it in zip lock bags and when it's time to eat drop the bags in boiling water then eat out of the bag. With 4 kids it's quick and easy clean up. We do the same for breakfast. Precooked bacon, crack a couple of eggs in a zip lock and info the boiling water.

Sent from my E39 using Tapatalk

Draft saved Draft deleted