1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Do you swim in the lake/river/pond when you go camping?

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by ashley0323, Sep 17, 2016.

1. ashley0323

ashley0323 Novice Camper

I am curious on everyones answer on this. Growing this was something that I think everyone did. You swim when you are out camping. Lately, it seems no one is going swimming in the lakes, and they are afraid too because of things in the water and worried about parasites. What do you all think?

2. missyify

missyify Survivalist

I don't particularly like lakes or ponds but I'll still get in one if that's all that's available. I have always lived by the beach, though... most of it is technically Chesapeake bay. The James river wasn't bad either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I see many people in the water when I go out, the primary thing preventing people is probably the weather and cold water if you don't see anyone swimming (at least that's what I've noticed)

4. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I'm not a big swimmer. I know that doesn't sound right from someone who likes to be on the water fishing and camping, but I hate getting wet. But to answer your question, as long as the water is clean and 76 F or warmer (I hate cold water) it doesn't matter to me.

5. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...I'm in the water as much as I can be. Our summer in this neck of the woods was hot and I enjoyed every minute I could be in the drink. Swishing through the lakes and rivers in a canoe makes swimming all the more inviting. Now and then I would dip my hat into the water and just let the drops pour down over my head and unto my shoulder as the sun glared down on us crossing the open waterways. Swimming and summer are synonymous in this region - we wait an awful long time before we can embrace this activity.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEqsUeva9qt1rYPdOfm1XuTN3drWF3wAcQYyhajYsAd6bB_ive4A.jpg

What? You never tried swinging rope?

to7update and Magnaman like this.
  6. scrapper

scrapper Novice Camper

If the climate is warm and the waterplace is safe (not wld currents or whirlpools to drag you to the bottom, not 2 meters crocodiles nearby) then indeed, is time to call the swimming. I love swimming, although I had some bittersweet experiences swimming across river ponds or lakes (got involved in an accident diving dark waters where a bloke kicked me hard alongside my head and left me with an ear trauma )..

7. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

man...not good. Crocs you say? The idea that they might be in the same waters could give me a bit of a heart burn. Then - you may have the same feeling seeing a black bear roam through the camp site. :)

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  8. Magnaman

Magnaman Novice Camper

Can't resist a skinny dip.

Sent from my G7-L01 using Tapatalk

9. to7update

to7update Novice Camper

Haha, pretty much as I feel too! To be honest, I do prefer the beach over lakes or rivers, but when camping nothing like making the best of the situation and enjoying what we have. There is this particular river we go with the canoe, and we always stop for a swim. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted