1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Do you take a grill when you go camping?

Discussion in 'Nature' started by GenevB, Apr 18, 2016.

1. GenevB

GenevB Newbie

In my country, it's like a national tradition, to always have a grill with you so you can grill what you haunted/caught while fishing, but most of the time we end up grilling what we got from the market, anyway, this is our favorite reason for going to camp into a forest for example. Do you do that while camping? gratare.jpg imageResize?path=%2Fmedia%2Fimages%2F2015-07%2F07271104-960829167.jpg gratar-iarba-verde.jpg

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...I have a pack grill and a base camp grill.

upload_2016-4-18_10-8-29.jpeg upload_2016-4-18_10-10-9.jpeg
    I can hang a chicken or a roast over the fire. Oh yes...I have my Dutch oven along too for great meal preparation.

happyflowerlady likes this.
  3. SashaS

SashaS Novice Camper

A pack grill is nice because, especially if you can fold it up, it does save a lot of space being flat and all. Its also a great way to suspend whatever you're grilling and can be easily cleaned and packed up again. I guess you could also use a pack grill for other foods like potatoes or to boil some water. All you really need is a fire below and a utensil to move the meat so its definitely efficient and cost effective. I personally use a pack grill for chicken legs and wings because I like eating those while camping.

4. Northern Dancer

...actually I usually take the single small grill - that is all I really need. It's terribly embarrassing to have a pack that weighs more than your canoe. I've piled rocks and made a cooking fire too and cooked over that.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTyykCFnG_GsnlMIkb1CzrxwijYu3rhp06n7aa2hTUlQGsbJZhSQ.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkHjm3vK7g9Fjh7WOt3rryp-vycFxzuYhlY8cA5qsq08EIycP3.jpg Don't you luv this stuff?

happyflowerlady likes this.
  5. Northern Dancer

...an excellent resource
    is any national publication of Scout Organizations;
    they have the how to on just about
    everything camping.

upload_2016-4-18_15-18-23.png

6. Hobbit

Hobbit Novice Camper

Usually take a few disposable BBQs.
    Light, no fuss and don't have to worry about cleaning them afterwards.
    Usually get about 45 minutes of good cooking time with one.
    Can get a bit messy when it comes to taking them home with you at the end of your camping as even if you are sure the carry bag you've placed them in is air tight, ash still seems to escape.

7. Faust

Faust Explorer

I never thought of using a disposable BBQ.. Interesting.

My go to items consist of;
    Cast iron skillet(s) and/or Dutch oven.
    Heavy duty foil.
    Jetboil with a small titanium pot (for pasta, rice, coffee, sauces (cheese sauce!), etc.).

Then my optional items, depending on the meal plan(s);
    Cast pie irons.
    An awesome wienie stick.
    Grill basket.

Is the basket considered a grill? (Mine is very similar, just has a longer handle).
    71avM%2BTw5aL._SL1500_.jpg

8. Northern Dancer

...I think we are evenly matched in terms of equip. It's a matter of choice but I tend not to buy throw away equipment - that includes those cylinder containers of propane. Very definitely Dutch oven fan - the cast iron pieces (for base camp use) etc.

9. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I had one of those grill baskets. Supposed to have had a non-stick coating....Ha. I like to never got the black Angus buggers scrapped of that thing. I must've done something wrong. I bought an old steel frying pan at an antique store years ago. That thing looks like it had some thing serious beat out of the bottom of it, but I like it because it heats quickly and if some thing sticks you can scrape it out with a rock.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

10. Northern Dancer

@killeroy154 - I've sprayed my non-stick stuff with Pam or some other cooking spray. I find that the heat is not distributed as well as on our stoves at home. Try it an let me know what your experience might be. :)

11. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Thanks for the advice. If I get another I will try that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

12. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I am not a fan of those grill baskets, I have found that extra top half doesn't really provide much benefit over having a normal grill and it is hard to get food to cook evenly since it is hard to readjust the food positioning while it is enclosed inside.

13. Northern Dancer

...but you could pack a chicken in the same and let it dangle over the fire until it is cooked to perfection. :) It is a matter of choice and what one is accustomed to.

14. Faust

Faust Explorer

Preheat the basket before you place the food in it and try to get that quick sear.
    (Nearly all raw proteins will stick to metal if the metal isn't Teflon/ceramic coated, it's a food science thing and why most recipes call for heating oil or pre-heat your oven to 500*F to "quickly sear" your meat).

Oil or butter always with stainless. Cast iron should be seasoned well enough that oil/butter isn't needed, at least not as much & often.

My basket's top is adjustable so it will firmly hold in thinner items like burger patties, steaks or larger items like bell peppers, corn on the cob. Definitely not my favorite but has it's uses and a larger cooking surface than cast pans.

campforums likes this.
  15. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Great post @Faust, thanks for the tips

Do you ever actually flip it over when you are using your cooking basket?

16. Faust

Faust Explorer

Oh yea. Spread out the coals, place a few rocks or pieces of wood so the basket sits above the hot coals and flip it over when ready to cook the other side. Takes 2 seconds to flip vs. eating smoke, rushing to flip your food because you're burning your hand and ultimately drop some food in the fire (true story!:eggface:)
    Though because the top portion of the basket presses into the food you can't top off your food, like melting cheese on a burger patty. You have to start with the basket upside down (or top side down) then when you flip it you may remove the top of the basket, put your cheese on to melt and continue cooking without the top portion.

It can be a handy item and as I said, it has a larger cooking surface (square inch wise) than my cast pans so personally I find it useful for specific meals.

17. ashley0323

ashley0323 Novice Camper

Eh, it just depends. We do own a small, portable sized grill, and at times, we will take it with us. Other times, we do not bring it and just use the campfire to cook. It tastes better that way and gives it a better "tone" for camping.

18. scrapper

scrapper Novice Camper

My grill is too cumbersome to bring around, thus we usually don't bring a grill with us when go camping. But there was a sweet camping spot where we built a clay oven, you know, like something traditional pizza restaurants use to bake the pizza. Something like this, although a bit less fancy :S =

Attached Files:

19. Northern Dancer

...and then of course in our neck of the woods organized camp grounds supply a grill; certainly in Algonquin and other provincial park lands. :thumbsup: I'm more interested in bringing a light weight portable pack table so I have something level to prepare and eat food. :)

20. JoAnn

JoAnn Newbie

Whenever we go camping , we usually take a small portable grill there easy to pack up and makes it much easier to prepare our meal.

Draft saved Draft deleted