1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Do you take a grill when you go camping?

Discussion in 'Nature' started by GenevB, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Glad to have you online @JoAnn - it's an interesting place catering to all kinds of campers at all different levels of skill and interest. :)

2. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I sometimes take the grill wire top with me. All I have to do is support it on some rocks over the fire.

3. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

When my folks went camping, we always just cooked over a campfire. Mom did bring along an old rack from an oven or a refrigerator (they had the same kind of racks back in those days). We would gather up rocks for around the fire, and then the rack went on top. She cooked with an ancient cast iron skillet that they had since at least the Great Depression. We had one of those old-time coffee pots which had nothing inside of it, you just dumped the coffee grounds into the coffee pot when it was starting to boil, and then set it to the side of the campfire so it didn't boil over. Once it had steeped the coffee grounds, they would sink to the bottom; but we alwasy still had grounds in the bottom of the coffee cup. that was just part of the campfire coffee experience !
    After i grew up, and we took our kids camping, we usually did it the same way. Sometimes, we went to a campground, and they usually had the BBQ grills to cook on when we went there.
    For me, I think it would just lose some of the good memories of camping if we took along a bbq grill and didn't make our meals over the campfire.

4. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

Our favorite camping ground at present has amenities like a barbecue area that comes with a grill. But in the forest where there is no grill, we have to improvise like using a longer stick to roast meat over firewood. With broiling, what we use are rocks and stones in lieu of the grill.

5. rz3300

rz3300 Explorer

If everything goes right I actually prefer to just cook over an open fire. I figure that you do not really get to do that too often so you might as well take advantage of it. You can grill any day, but not the open fire.

Draft saved Draft deleted