1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Do You Use a Swiss Army Knife?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by gracer, Aug 18, 2016.

1. gracer

gracer Explorer

Hi guys! :)

I find Swiss Army Knives handy and beneficial for me when I go outdoors with my family especially when we go camping. My husband brings in other sharp equipment with him to help him with cutting down branches or high grass that block our way towards our camping site and all his other tasks. He also never forgets to bring with him a Swiss Army Knife because of its multiple functions. It has always been a staple tool for him and me as well especially when I need a tool for cooking.

Do you also bring a Swiss Army Knife with you or anything similar to it?

2. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I have thought about purchasing a good multi-tool, but I don't like carrying things clipped on my waistine. I don't wear belts cause I find them uncomfortable. I wear suspenders most of the time, ya know being shaped like Mr potato head might have something to do with it, but no comment.

I have been in some survival situations like I couldn't get that cap off my bottle of rootbeer, or a can of chili open. So yes I am concidering getting one because it would be very handy. Someone posted a picture of a Swiss multi tool on one of these forums a while back, and I bet that thing had a hundred or so attachments. Looked like a tool box you'd keep in the garage.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

gracer and Northern Dancer like this.
  3. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...of course. I've received three of them as gifts.

The Swiss Army knife is a pocket knife or multi-tool manufactured by Victorian AG (and up to 2005 also by Wenger SA). The term "Swiss Army knife" was coined by American soldiers after World War II due to the difficulty they had in pronouncing "Offiziersmesser", the German name.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBvz7UnE2kBbOpNJfg3GVdDMnKAXZIL_U4mImewFfduVkXhZNG.jpg
    This is the one that I use the most. I have a small black model that I carry in my pants pocket. But as we know there are numerous models one can purchase.

gracer likes this.
  4. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Ahaa! It does exist!View attachment 2055 the ultimate Swiss Multi Tool. I guess the Swiss got bored with their intricate, and very well made, time pieces, and thought they would realy dazzle the world. This thing comes with an altimeter, barometer, clock "of course", and even a thermometer. On sale 380.00 US.

Yep I can check barometric pressure on way to work, and when I get to guard shack at entrance I can display my thermometer, and state I have a fever and must take a couple of days off. Oh and don't mind the camping gear in the back. Then I can call my wife and tell her I have a fever and I don't want to give her my "illness" and that I will go camping for a couple of days till I get better. Yep I have it all worked out. Um hm that would go over like a ....... turd in a punch bowl at a party. Oh I wonder if that multi tool comes with a master degree in engineering.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

gracer likes this.
  5. Northern Dancer

upload_2016-8-19_20-20-53.jpeg I mean...like really?

gracer and killeroy154 like this.
  6. gracer

gracer Explorer

Oh wow! I'm kinda speechless looking at the picture. I don't know whether I should react in disbelief or in amazement. Lol! I never thought a Swiss Army Knife of this kind even exists, but really... all I can say is wow! It does look like a complete tool box all merged into one. I have only held and owned the usual looking ones but never this kind of stuff. This is very interesting stuff! :)

7. Northern Dancer

I was wondering where you would put/wear it? It looks like it weighs a tonne.

upload_2016-8-21_21-2-1.jpeg

killeroy154 likes this.
  8. gracer

gracer Explorer

That's true. With my regular Swiss Army Knife, I just usually put it in my pocket because we'll never know if we would be needing it along the way especially while hiking. It would be too time consuming if I put it inside my backpack or anywhere else. But with that kind of army knife, I don't know if I would be able to carry it like how I always do with my regular one. It would probably rip my pocket off. :oops:

9. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

For a 300 plus dollar knife, I think I would hang it on the wall. I'd be to scared I would loose it, or like I have fishing lures and stuff, accidentally drop it over the side of the boat.

gracer likes this.
  10. missyify

missyify Survivalist

I have a rainbow pocket knife that's also a bottle opener and it does most of what I need it to do. I thought it was safe because... Ya know... It's rainbow colored. Turns out it's also the sharpest knife so everyone kept using it and now I can't find it.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

gracer likes this.
  11. Faust

Faust Explorer

To me a Swiss Army Knife is a child's toy, too gimmicky to be a valuable tool.
    I've used my fixed blade knife to open cans of food, pop bottle caps off etc. The only challenge I've encountered was a bottle of wine but I just cut the top of the cork off and pushed it inside the bottle. Bottom's up!

I do carry a Leatherman multi-tool just in case I loose my fishing pliers and need something to remove the hook but I've never needed it and have never used it once in the 15+ years I've owned it. It's just a heavy hunk of steel sitting in my bag lol.

gracer likes this.
  12. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Yes that's what I was wondering about. Thanks @Faust. I was wondering if a multi-tool would be worth it.

13. sea_goin_dude

sea_goin_dude Novice Camper

These knives are very useful and you can get them at walmarts and i am sure other places for less than ten bucks. I always carry one with me in my van and have several more if I need them.

Attached Files:

• 44.jpg
      44.jpg
      File size:
      47.5 KB
      Views:
    • 45.jpg
      45.jpg
      File size:
      75.9 KB
      Views:
Draft saved Draft deleted