1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Does anybody ever bring their dog camping?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by campforums, Jan 1, 2013.

?

Do you have a dog and would you bring it camping?

1. I don't have a dog

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. I have a dog, and I have or would like to bring it camping

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. I have a dog, but I won't bring it camping

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

2. TABL

TABL Explorer

We bring our dog! She's a good dog. She doesn't bark or bite
    Our only problem has been at one of our favorite campgrounds, they don't allow dogs on the beach, so we have to have someone with her.

3. paw42uk

paw42uk Newbie

I have been hill walking and camping for well over 30 years now and I always take my dogs with me. I have always found that dogs are very well received within the walking environment, as long as they are well behaved and under control that is.

My dog is getting a little long in the tooth now, so I have to tailor the walking side quite a bit to suit her, but I would never contemplate not taking her along.

4. campforums

Aw, how old is she?

5. Toxique

Toxique Newbie

Sadly I don't have a dog, but I'm sure my cat would like to go :p

6. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

We don't. He's too much of a sissy, hehe.

No really. He would much rather stay in a warm home where he can have his food and water, and only have to go outside to pee before we let him right back in. I can't say I blame him, but I do find it funny that he wouldn't like camping at all.

7. joker

joker Newbie

I don't have a dog but always wanted one.

8. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Just camping? Nah. Hunting? Depends on what's on the menu. Generally it'll only be for something like wild boar (although I do worry - stupid pigs are vicious) and anything with fowl (duck, peasant, etc).

9. campforums

What does your dog do? For birds I know many dogs are trained to retrieve them once they've been shot down but I don't think there are many breeds that would be able to drag back a hog carcass.

10. Johnny

Johnny Newbie

I don't have a dog so obviously I couldn't take one with me, but I think it would be nice for those that do own a dog. Afterall, dogs do love long walks and being outdoors :D

2sweed likes this.
  11. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

You use the dogs to scent the hogs and then to help you with separating out the ones you're looking to take down. You also take them for your own protection. I hate hogs... they're so freakin'... Oh, well.

12. shylambert

shylambert Newbie

We brought our dog to our family camping near the waterfalls and it was fun! He likes water so much and he's not afraid to go up the falls. He also chased some chickens there. That time I could see that our dog was very happy and he felt so free, he kept on running here and there!

13. campforums

Our dog also has a great time when there's a big open space to run around. I'm curious though, where were you were there were chickens roaming around?

14. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

You'd be surprised where you can find chickens... filthy little cretins. They are delicious fried, breaded, baked, roasted, in the form of hot wings... still they are awful little creatures.

15. Karto

Karto Newbie

I always do. My dog gets enough time indoors as he is out for only around an hour total daily.

That's very little for an animal in my opinion.

Being in the wild is heaven for him. At least it looks like it :)

16. Peaceweapon

Peaceweapon Newbie

Definitely, my dog is very well behaved and doesn't bark or bite, he stays close by and doesn't bother the other campers. I think its a great experience for them a great way for them to experience new smells and sights. It is good stimulation for a dog which is important for them, they also tend to love the long walks and the new outdoor area to explore.

17. actadh

actadh Pathfinder

Our dog always goes with us when we camp and use the travel trailer. I haven't taken her when I tent camp, but would not rule it out. Always leashed as she has no concept of roads.

18. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

....ACTUALLY? My dog Reese takes me camping.

He insists...
    that I bring the equipment, lift the canoe, organize the camp,
    FETCH the water, feed him twice a day, provide cookies,
    swim when he wants to go into the lake and scratch his tummy.

I'm gonna tell ya somtin -
    you would think that after a hard day of all that camping,
    canoeing, hiking, swimming,
    cooking, washing and managing all the duties of the day
    he would be grateful.
    Gnaw - all he does is snuggle up to me
    at the end of the day to keep warm.

iwnec4.jpg

Got you covered Dude...

campforums and happyflowerlady like this.
  19. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

We never took the dogs along camping or swimming when we had a car because they would always get wet, and then smelled too "doggy" to want to have them in the car riding back home. If we had the pickup then they could ride in the back and enjoyed going along and running around at the lake. When I was a teenager; I had a wonderful Labrador Retriever who went everywhere with me, and we had a place that people could go swimming and bring along their dogs (who were not allowed at the "proper" beach). I could put the leash on him and walk across town and down to the beach to swim.

The swimming hole was appropriately named Dog Beach, and there were almost always people there with their pets in the summer. Jet loved to swim, and he also loved to retrieve. He would swim out and find a piece of driftwood, and them swim back to me with it, very proud of himself. Sometimes, he would find one of the big driftwood logs floating in the lake, and it was always funny to watch him grab a branch and try to drag it in to shore. If I were sitting on a driftwood log, then he liked to come up and sit beside me; but it was always a challenge to get him up on the log without rolling the log and dumping me off of it.

20. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...ha ha, dogs can smell, just like people.
    My common rule is that the dog needs to complete his swimming routine by approximately 3:00 P.M. in the afternoon to get dried off enough for the great sleep at night. The places that I go are considered wildish and there are no restrictions for an animal to go swimming including moose, bear, beaver, deer and those nasty creatures called HUmans.
    :)

:bear: There's nothing like watching a bare bear go swimming.

Draft saved Draft deleted