1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Does anyone use a camping app?

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by happyflowerlady, Jul 31, 2015.

1. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

I had no idea that there even was such a thing as a camping app; but apparently there are. It looks like they could be very helpful if you were going camping at a regular campground, or even if you were going on vacation and planning on staying at campgrounds along the way.

Years ago, I had a Thousand Trails membership, and they had a regular book that told about each campground, and directions about how to find it. When my daughter (Robin) was about 21, we finally took her on that trip to Disneyland that we had promised , but never could afford when she was little. We just went in our car, but took along a tent for myself and my husband, and Robin had her own little tent. We planned the route to stay at the campgrounds each night, and drove down the West Coast from Seattle area to California.

We went along the 101 highway that goes close to the ocean, and made stops to visit interesting sites along the way, and then enjoyed the hot showers and swimming pool at night in the campgrounds. I think that if a person were doing something similar nowdays, having one of the apps for campgrounds would be an awesome idea.

http://m.halifax.wickedlocal.com/article/20150726/NEWS/150729384

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I have an account with three agencies if that is what you are referring to. Ontario Parks, Haliburton Water Trails, and Haliburton Forest. It's great because I can book anytime day or night and get immediate feedback about spaces, places and issues.

3. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

Actually, I was talking about apps like you would have on an iPad or smartphone. The article I linked mentioned some of the most popular ones. It seems like there are some very helpful apps for tablets, so it is not surprising that they would also have some for campers.

4. Northern Dancer

Of course...you are really up to date on this stuff.

happyflowerlady likes this.
  5. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

They have like information and articles built into them?

6. actadh

actadh Pathfinder

I also use phone apps while camping for star charts and weather alerts. I also like the handy app Swiss Army Knife as it has a flashlight, mirror, ruler, compass, and a bubble level mode.

campforums likes this.
  7. magpieac57

magpieac57 Newbie

Hi happyflowerlady, we have one , in Australia, "wiki camps " I know the U.S. Has one too, it's like a travellers bible, does just about everything, and with satellite tracking it keeps following you, it's the best app I have

8. mama2princesses

mama2princesses Novice Camper

I'll have to check this out! I keep a list of camp sites at the different campgrounds that we would like to stay at. We know some are too small or are very unlevel and that makes it difficult to park there. We pick the ones with the best views/access/space/shade and then we write those down so we can be sure we get the sites we want. It would be nice to keep all the information in an app or spreadsheet so both my husband and I can reference it when making all of our reservations in the winter. Often, I like specific sites for specific reasons and he don't know why just by my scribbles on paper. We'll have to see if we can chart/rank/etc.

campforums likes this.
  9. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

You must have been to a lot of different camp sites if you need a spreadsheet to categorize them! :D

10. Northern Dancer

I don't have a spread sheet as such but I do have all the Camp areas/locations recorded in the computer with all the data that includes, dates, sites, bookings, cost, person who made the bookings and such. I also have a description to remind myself why I selected the spot. Some of those lists are getting a bit big. I also notice the upward trend in costs too. Yep, I have my favourite sites that I tend to keep to myself.

Competition is fierce these days and there are numerous systems one can use to plot the trip and make the connect. Sure beats the old days where you simply set out for the north (in our neck of the woods) and hoped for the best.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPxD1DgQ94rmyw9XOqdZI-v35sT-xlAP1S5xa-Tn7tIftgP5y3.jpg Let your fingers do the walking - and let the legs follow.

Draft saved Draft deleted