1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Does moss grow on the north side?

Discussion in 'Nature' started by campforums, Jan 13, 2013.

1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I remember when I was out and about in the outdoors when I was younger and being told that you could tell which direction was north by which side the moss grows on. A lot of movies and TV shows also say things like this.

I was always kind of skeptical of this because it seemed to me the moss was growing in all sorts of directions. So out of curiosity I decided to look it up, and it looks like I wasn't wrong:

http://www.forteantimes.com/strangedays/mythbusters/2911/moss_growth.html

2. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

As the article says it depends on lots of things like the prevailing wind. If the prevailing wind is a Northerner then the myth has some validity. On the other hand if the wind is going differently or there is a tendency to have shade or whatever then the myth is well more mythical. So really it's more a factor of being less than ironclad rather than completely false.

3. ps3fanboy

ps3fanboy Newbie

yea i heard bear grylls say that when he was in scotland i think it was. but like the poster above me says, alot of factors go into it and i think i remember bear say this is only possible in the north of the northern hemisphere.

4. campforums

Either way, it isn't reliable and you aren't really any better off than guessing. I certainly wouldn't want to risk my life because of something like this.

5. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

An educated guess is generally better then just wondering about or staying where you are. That's how people die you know.

6. campforums

I agree.

7. Toxique

Toxique Newbie

Exactly, one false move could be your last...

8. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Ah, but you'd be surprised what counts as a false move. It might seem like some moves are smarter than others, but many people have died doing the right thing while others survived doing the wrong thing. So... you never know.

9. Libragirl67

Libragirl67 Newbie

Do you really want to rely on moss as your guide anyway? And in nature anything is possible. And certainly do not take the word of tv shows. It is always best to take a person with you who has experience and knowledge. I love nature and taking walks. But I will not risk getting lost in unknown territory. It really can be dangerous and life threatening.

10. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

That is not always the case about moss growth. I have seen rocks and trees have moss all the way around it's base. I wouldn't use that as a method of telling me north.

11. CampAllDay

CampAllDay Newbie

I'm not sure, i'll do some research.

12. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

You don't want to rely on anything as your sole guide. However, you also don't want to dismiss anything out of hand. There is good knowledge to be learned from what appears to be dross - you'd be surprised what facts can be gleaned from tv.

That said you don't want to be completely depended on someone, because accidents happen as do unexpected circumstances. I've learned that the hard way, but that hasn't yet stopped me from hiking alone in unknown territory. The important thing to remember is to keep a cool head, remember to breathe, and never leave home without a map of the area along with a compass.

13. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I have read over this whole conversation about whether moss growing on a side of the tree can point you in a northerly direction or if it is just a bunch of hype. So I went looking for answers and found this video where the guy makes some really interesting points about how the conditions in the woods can make a big difference as to whether the moss on a tree really points to the north or not.

So check this out and come back and tell us what you think about his view on this subject.

14. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I understand that moss grows everywhere. Rather than relying on moss I think I would be more inclined to invest in a good compass if nothing else.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQm_JOtgoqWHe1MH6A-PDEFMKTOMs2qQmsyArHRUVxn3jYEYBKahQ.jpg

campforums likes this.
  15. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I think @Dancer, has got it right. Moss does of a way of growing where ever it is damp or moist. Our side yard is covered with moss from underground springs. So I would trust a compass or the north star more than trusting moss growing on a tree. :)

campforums likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted