1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Dogs and Camping

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by shopgirl, Aug 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. shopgirl

shopgirl Newbie

Hey Y'all! Just wanted to get some feedback on if you take your fur babies along with you when you go camping? I have 2 Yorkies and I would like to take them on a camping trip that we have coming up soon. We are staying at a campground in a camper. I just hate leaving them behind when we go out of town. Mostly because I don't have any dependable sources that would be willing to watch them for a few days. I don't like boarding them either. I am just concerned about bringing them because they are SO loud and yappy. They bark at everything :( I also don't know what I would do with them during the day when I want to fish or hang out at the pool, if we had to run an errand to the store, etc. I am unsure if they can just be left in the camper and if they were, I know they would bark the whole entire time. I am really considering buying them no bark collars :( I really hate to go that route but I don't know what else to do. They are my babies! Any suggestions?

photobucket-34644-1340311270416.jpg

2. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

I take my dogs hunting, but not generally camping. The only thing is that they've been trained to behave since they were pups - so I don't mind it. Your dogs don't have that and depending on where you camp that can be really irritating for those around you. The choices I see for you are either boarding them or getting the collars - it just isn't fair to the other campers or really yourself otherwise.

3. shopgirl

shopgirl Newbie

Yes I agree. I think I have no choice but to go with the collars :(. I love my dogs but I agree also with you on in taking them it will most likely cause a lot of stress, frustration and aggravation on my part trying to keep up with them. I don't want to disrupt others in the process. I don't do the whole boarding thing. Not crazy about my dogs being caged with very little human interaction for several days in a row and only being let out to do their business. Been there, done that. If I don't go with the collars, maybe between now and then I may be able to find a good pet sitter. Thanks for your reply!! :)

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

It depends alot on the dog, how well trained they are and where you are camping. It is also more difficult because you have more than one dog.

Some dogs are very sedentary and are okay just lying about on the lawn and can be trusted not to run off however I don't think this is the case for you since most smaller dogs I've seen are the opposite. If you are camping overnight you might also need to worry about where they are going to sleep and if they nails are going to puncture the lining of your tent.

5. RuthHur

RuthHur Newbie

We bring our baby (a half shepherd, half huskie 2 year old) when we go. She's an outdoor dog at home (we live in country), so she doesn't bark at people or other dogs, but she will occasionally bark during her night vigil.

So far we haven't had complaints, but we go out of our way to choose remote spots for that reason. When we want to visit the spots she can't go (like the public beaches, etc) we either take turns, or tie her to a tree beside the tent (we do this at night as well). Where you're camping, are there primitive or remote spots where your dogs won't bother anyone? Can you dry camp? Will they still bark if the shades are pulled in your camper?

We don't like boarding either. :(

I hope you find a good sitter or work something out...even collars if necessary. Hopefully they'll get used to it and it wont be necessary next time- it's super fun when they enjoy it too!

6. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Back to dogs...

I take my dog as often as I can and true you have to think and plan ahead. Reese is well behaved and trained in some of the finer arts of camping. "Leave it" is a command that he has to obey as well as "come" using the word or hand signal. He does come - immediately. He has a vest to identify him, a warm coat should it be cold, and a life jacket when he is in the canoe and occasionally he wears a bear bell.

I'm going to tell you...there is nothing more campy than your dog snuggling up to you at the end of day an laying his head in your lap while you are watching a crackling campfire.

If you are dog camping it is understood there is a recognized protocol that one follows - and I do.

nmxnhl.jpg

This is Reese - as well behaved as any human camper I've ever met - and sometimes a bit better.

2sweed likes this.
  7. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I would have to agree that having a dog along when going camping is one of the best companions a person can enjoy, as long as, he does not come out of the bushes smelling of skunk or invite one of these big fellows to share your tent.

bear in tent.jpg

8. Northern Dancer

You really do have to think about this sort of stuff and be prepared but I really haven't had a lot of trouble with Reese. I can think of some humans that have caused me a lot more grief.

9. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Was wondering how old is Reese, as he looks like a young dog? Does he go with you on the long group camping trips where you take the trips down river?

10. Northern Dancer

Reese is well versed in canoeing and is obedient to the commands. For example - he is not allowed to get into the canoe or get out without specific instructions. "In" - he gets in and "Out" he gets out. "Down" an important one for river and lake travel. I just thought of a funny incident with my last dog - Blazer.

Anyway...it's hard to believe but he is now 70 in human years [14
    in dog years]. As I mentioned he has his own pack, coat, cape and life jacket. If I could only get him to canoe....

11. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Well this is the internet, filled with strange people doing strange things. If you look hard enough there probably is someone, somewhere who has figured out how to get their dog to paddle the boat for them. It is good that your dog is so well trained. When I read "Reese" and "canoe" my mind filled with images of your dog running around the canoe and tipping it over, haha. I'm sure you'll agree, canoes are a lot less stable than they look.

Yes, I would never have guessed he is 14 either. I wonder if dogs are as flattered as humans are when people underestimate their age?:p

12. Northern Dancer

I've got him trained well enough that he doesn't run around. He just stands up in the bow looking majestically out on the water, like a sea captain ready to give the crew the next order.
    I don't think he knows how old he is - if he did he would slow down. At the moment he just does his thing. I do watch that I don't over tire him especially on extended hikes and trips. He is always ready to please and I respect his limitations.

13. whnuien

whnuien Newbie

We take our dog whenever we go to a jungle, camping, or fishing. They do bark a lot and often disappearing somewhere for certain time and come back when they are hungry. I'm sure your dogs will enjoy the trip, just make sure you bring enough foods or anything you guys need so you never have to leave them to go to a store.

14. Northern Dancer

My dog has as much personal equipment that I have - including a hefty supply of dog food and cookies [dog biscuits]. Nice on see you on line.

15. When I go camping, I do bring my dog along with me, for protection. He's my companion and I love having him around. He's so playful and very protective of my family. It's good to bring your dog along with you because you never know what can happen, while you're camping. ;)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  16. Northern Dancer

Protect you from what?

17. My dog is well trained, and he protects my us from people in general. It had times at the campsite some of our supplies were missing, especially all our food lol. I guess the person or persons who had stolen our belongings needed it more than we do! :bored: That's when my dog start coming along with us camping because it happened on a regular. From ever since, I brought my dog camping, he will guard the tent when we stepped away.

Most of the time, we were in the water either scuba diving, snorkeling, swimming, or playing beach volleyball. It was the perfect timing for that bandit to approach our tent, and stolen most of our stuff. :mad:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  18. Northern Dancer

I'm really sorry to hear that; :( it is an experience that I have never had in all my years of camping and canoeing. I sort of hope that my dog would warn me of night creatures, [if need be] but have never regarded him as a watch/guard dog. He is a fabulous companion and loves the water as much as I do.

2ztcdid.jpg

Meet Reese. [again]
    We just got back from a short canoe trip and he is still wearing his protective vest. [Designed to keep bugs, twigs and forest branches at bay.]

What kind of dog do you have?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  19. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

I have a border collie that cant even last a minute in the car without throwing up everywhere. So camping is out of the question, oh and he is reallllllly active, he cant sit in a spot for more than 30 seconds.

20. Northern Dancer

Not necessarily.

If you are prepared to do a little work. Dogs can be fabulous camping companions as well as fun.

I can identify with the really active stuff.
    Reese goes absolutely nuts when he gets into the car. I've done just about every thing possible and tried every psychological trick in the book - fail...ure.

So...what do I do? Since I am travelling some distance to get to a base camp the vet gives me a sedative to give to him. Now instead of jumping up and down and moaning and groaning - he just sits looking out the window. My buds tell me that I'm the only guy they know who's dog is on drugs.

But it works and saves him and me. When we get to where we are going he is back to normal and usually heads down the lake for a cold drink [of water].

I can share more if you like.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted