1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Dollar Store Survival kit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by AurelioLeo, Mar 18, 2013.

1. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

Has anyone try to put together a survival kit completely purchased from the dollar store? I have put one together using about twelve dollars and a trip to the local dollar tree store. If you have put one togther what was in yours?

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I would be careful about doing that, a lot of the products at dollar stores (at least the ones near me) are very cheaply made.

Things like tools and materials can be flimsy or break easily which makes me somewhat cautious to depend on them. Also first aid items or really just about anything you apply to your body can be made in China where they have more lenient restrictions on the kind of chemicals they can put in their goods. I would make sure you check the ingredients and that anything of that nature comes from a reputable brand.

Stay safe!

3. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

The Dollar Store survival kit is more of a backup or a tight budget kit that would be put together. I do agree that the products from the dollar store aren't the best made equipment available on the market. On the comment of what is made in China I would say is almost everything. You go into Walmart, Target, or even Kmart alot of the items they hold are made from China.

4. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

It's definitely doable. At the same time, that same 12 dollars could probably buy some larger packages of some of the items (like bandages and ointments) that could be spread among multiple first aid kits.

Or you could go the opposite route. 9 bucks could get you a premade first aid kit like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00505C0T4/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00505C0T4&linkCode=as2&tag=thequiworofje-20

And you would still have a few bucks to get other "campy" items like rope, for example.

(For the record, I wouldn't actually buy the above kit. If I'm going to buy premade, I would go with a larger, slightly more expensive version that's going to have more items I need or can be restocked easier. Even this one would probably be better for camping: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000053519/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000053519&linkCode=as2&tag=thequiworofje-20 )

4107sRL1LTL._SY355_.jpg

5. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

I went to the dollar tree today and picked up a blue tarp for a dollar. I also was able to get a four pack of bungy cords as well. It's really hit or miss when it comes to some decent items there.

6. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

I picked up a four pack of heavy duty batteries and a decent flashlight for a dollar each today at the dollar tree. I go there daily to see what new stuff they place out on the shelves. I also found a plastic rain case to protect some of my stuff from getting wet for a dollar as well.

7. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

It would be better than no survival kit at all and I bet if you took your time and poked around different stores you could find items that are better made for the same price.

I'm glad you experimented with this, that's how we learn.

8. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

Wow, your dollar store seems to change stock quite a bit. Mine only has the same stuff.

Be careful with the batteries, though. I have bought cheap dollar store batteries before and they died super fast compared to others.

9. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

reply: I get the Panasonic heavy duty batteries only from the dollar store. On your comment of them changing stock quite a bit is very true. We also got more than one dollar tree in this city and they don't all hold the same stuff. For my experiments (inventions) with electrical gadgets I use the Panasonic batteries instead of the lithiums. I only take the best when I am out camping.

10. Lita11

Lita11 Newbie

I think you buy it on a high price. It should be a little bit lower then 12 dollar.

11. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

That is true in some cases you can find some of these same items for just under a dollar at other stores. I think overall the dollar store is a great place just to get started on building a survival kit. It's great just to tinker with what can and can't be used from a dollar store.

12. weekender

weekender Newbie

I would not be able to complete a survival kit from merchandise bought from a dollar store. The toiletries, first aid medicines, and some flashlights and strings may be available but not the dependable multi-tools and other safety gear. The basics, perhaps are there, but not all.

13. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

Sounds like to me the survival kit from a dollar store would just be stuff that would be too cheap to help with survival. I would only be able to see some dollar snacks and maybe a cheap pair of scissors but I would not be able to come up with anything beneficial. Someone can enlighten me on what can be made from a dollar store for a survival kit?

14. Sweetkymom

Sweetkymom Newbie

I purchased several flashlights, several packs of batteries, hammer and several other items to take on my very first camping trip. Everything I bought held up to its expectations, though. You can't honestly expect much from cheaply made and priced items. I can say that the Dollar Tree carries alot of unexpected stuff and their stock changes every week. Each truckload hauls at least 7-8 new items to be put out.

15. bocat

bocat Newbie

I highly doubt i could get a could load from a dollar store. I wouldn't Maybe you can get some wraps, alcohol, and water. Other than that i need 1 or 2 pretty decent weapons. I also would need some pretty decent boots that i doubt i could find at a dollar store.

16. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

What would you be using weapons for?

17. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

Obviously, you are not going to find the same quality of camping items at a dollar store as you will find at a store that specializes in hunting and sporting/camping items. However, if you are on a limited budget, there are a lot of workable items that can be found at places like dollar stores and liquidation stores. Many items are closeouts, and even though they are now only $1, they originally sold for much more.
    Just because you can't afford to buy first quality items, you should not let that hold you back from enjoying camping out, and fishing.
    I have lived my life on a short budget, and a lot of my shopping is from thrift stores, yard sales, and dollar stores, and we were still able to enjoy camping and fishing with the family.

One really great item that you can find at the dollar store is an emergency candle made from a bit of string or parachute cord, and a can of Crisco shortening.
    All you have to do to make one is to get the string pushed down into the shortening, and light the candle.
    Actually, this would also double as an easy fire starter, and you can use it for cooking as well. So, one little can of cheap shortening can be a big help in several ways.

Draft saved Draft deleted