1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Don't forget some corn for the porcupines...

Discussion in 'Nature' started by happyflowerlady, Jan 26, 2015.

1. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

Porcupines love corn !
    They not only love corn, they will talk to you while they are eating their corn. Honest !
    Listen to this little fellow, and you can hear him saying "it's my corn", and later , it sounds like he says he "loves it".
    Even if you don't believe that porcupines can talk; you will totally love watching this little fellow eating his corn on the cob.

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Wow, he looks so friendly. Mind the pun but I always imagined that they would have a more prickly personality :p

happyflowerlady likes this.
  3. happyflowerlady

I think this particular porcupine lives in a nature zoo, so he is used to being fed and having people around him. The ones that I have seen in the woods are not very sociable, and you would definitely not want to get that close to one. Since the quills keep growing; there is not any way that they can de-quill a porcupine, as far as I know. He just must be used to people enough that he doesn't throw quills at people.

I had a Great Dane that tried to get a porcupine once, and she came back to the house with a face full of quills. Since it was very painful, she did not want us to touch her to pull the quills out. You have to take scissors and cut off the tip of the quill and then it will release the suction and you can use your needle nose pliers and pull out the quills. This is providing you can get the dog to hold still enough for your to pull the quills.

I ended up putting a horse halter on the Dane, and then running the horse lead ropes through that and through her collar, and putting her between two trees that had grown up close together, and just tying her to both sides so she couldn't move, and then I could pull the quills out. That was the last porcupine she went after.

4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

I had no idea they sounded like that. It's cute. Hahahahah. I thought for a second he would of gotten aggressive because you were taking his food away.

5. campforums

I've encountered porcupines a few times on different camping trips and they are not very lively. They are very quiet actually, both times they popped up right near our camp site without anyone even noticing and then we kept our distance for what seemed like forever until it finally decided to move out. I've never seen a porcupine shoot out any quills, is it more like the stick into you if you get close enough to touch him? It is hard to imagine enough force to be able to propel them out of its body and into you.

6. happyflowerlady

They kind of throw the quills at you, and when they wave their tail, it give the quills propulsion. If you can see it in the video, they have clipped the hair and quills on the back of the porky in the video. They would grow back; so I am sure they have to keep him clipped short.

I had a llama and they are good guard animals, and will chase off coyotes, and any other unwanted critters. Well, this llama thought she would chase off the porcupine. When he didn't go, she apparently pounced on him with all four feet because when we found her, she had quills on every leg. There were so many and it was so apinful that we had to call the vet and he had to sedate her and put her out before he was able to pull out the quills.

If you ever get quills in your self or your dog, be sure to cut off the ends with scissors before you pull the quills out. They make a suction, and that is why they just keep working into your body. Cutting off the end releases the suction so you can get them out much easier.

7. campforums

Giving a porcupine a haircut, that is an interesting idea. I don't think you'd be able to use the same tools though. I have a porcupine needle around my house somewhere and it is quite stiff. I don't think you'd be able to cut it very easily without some very heavy duty scissors.

When was this? Was that at the same home you live at now?

I never thought of llamas are guard animals, was this at the same home you are living at now? I guess like horses they can pack a strong kick?

Draft saved Draft deleted