1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Dried and smoked Foods

Discussion in 'Food' started by RuthHur, Sep 17, 2013.

1. RuthHur

RuthHur Newbie

Hi, everyone :)

I was wondering if anyone dries fruits/ veggies, or smokes meat for your trips? If so, do you have any tips or tricks of the trade? Any preferences or recipes? I'd love to hear them!

Right now we smoke a few different kinds of meat (like pork, turkey, beef jerkey, and pastrami), and dry some fruits. We use an electric smoker, and a homemade "drying rack" with some wood, using a box fan for drying. Tortilla and veggies chips we just broil in the oven.

How about you guys?

2. TABL

TABL Explorer

Well, I can't help you out because we don't do that. However, I'm intrigued! What does smoking meat do? Does it make is last longer?

3. RuthHur

RuthHur Newbie

It just makes it so it doesn't need to be refrigerated afterwards. (And tasty!) After it's smoked you can use it like jerky and eat it plain, or mixed into stews, reheated or toasted over the fire, to snack on while you're hiking, as a treat for your dog...and as a teether for fussy babies! :) You can vary the flavor depending on what wood you use to smoke, if you marinade it, and depending on what spices you add.

4. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

When hiking we have always used a lot of dried foods and taken beef jerky along with us. The jerky, is a nice snack on the trail and the freeze dried foods cut down on the weight of carrying lots of cooking supplies when on a day trip or staying over one night. If we went on longer trips with our car and stayed a week or more, then we brought more fresh foods. I like the dried or freeze dried, as it is so quick and easy. Just add water. Also I often crave salt on the trail especially if it is a hot sweaty day and so chewing on a jerky stick gives me back some of that salt I need in my diet.

5. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

I am all about dried or smoked foods - the only thing however that I personally do are like granola for cereal, smoked venison (in various forms), and like dried fruit/ fruit jerky. I can give you recipes for that I guess... Oh! I also make up pouches of dried ingredient for like chili and stews sometimes, but they can be a bit hit and miss.

Draft saved Draft deleted