1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Dried Fruit and Energy Bars For The Trail

Discussion in 'Food' started by 2sweed, Feb 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Trail Bars
    • Put through your food grinder:
    • 1/2 lb, pitted dates
    • 1 cup peeled, cored and sliced apples
    • 1 cup seedless raisins
    • Combine and add to fruit:
    • 1 1/2 cups chopped nuts
    • 2 cups crushed vanilla cookies
    • 1 cup powdered sugar
    • 1 cup granulated sugar
    Add:
    • 3/4 cup honey
    • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
    • Water if necessary
    Knead and work with your hands to mix well. Press into foil lined pan. Allow to "dry" for a few hours, then cut into bars after lifting from the pan by the edges of the foil. Roll in brown sugar and wrap individually in foil or plastic wrap. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.

2. 2sweed

I love a quick energy food when out walking in the woods. Something that gives me a new burst to get me over the next hill or better yet a real chance of being able to get back to my house or car. This recipe is one of my favorites, and is healthier than a candy bar.

Quick Energy Logs
    • 1/4 cup dry roasted cashews
    • 1 cup walnuts
    • 1/2 cup figs
    • 1/2 cup raisins
    • 1/4 cup chopped dry apples
    • 1/2 cup lemon juice
    • 1/2 cup flaked coconut
    Put nuts and fruits through a food grinder two times. Add lemon juice and mix. Roll into small logs. Roll in coconut and let stand several hours to dry. Wrap individually in foil and store in refrigerator until ready to use.

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

For homemade, high energy, portable snacks I like to make protein bars. The main thing is mixing the whey protein + flour + milk, other than that the rest is pretty much up to you. Maybe combining recipes with some of yours would work out well. I think adding some nuts would work nicely.

Here's an article with a few good recipes: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/diy-protein-bars-healthy-bars-in-5-easy-steps.html

4. 2sweed

I think you sent me to that site for those protein bars just to make me hungry and fat, I think I gain 5 pounds just reading the recipes. lol
    Have bookmarked the site and will copy them down and give them a try. I usually don't use whey protein due to allergies but sure I can find a replacement for it. Thanks for sharing. :)

5. 2sweed

A friend gave me this recipe. It is a great treat when she and her husband take their children along on a camping or hiking trip.
    ENERGY BARS
    1/2 cup peanut butter, chunky or smooth
    1/2 cup powdered milk
    1/3 cup corn syrup or honey
    1 envelope unflavored gelatin
    1 tablespoon wheat germ
    Pinch of salt
    Combine in order listed. Roll into individual logs and wrap in foil. No need to refrigerate.

Draft saved Draft deleted