1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Dried fruit and meat

Discussion in 'Food' started by Karto, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Karto

Karto Newbie

Do you like it?

I'm a huge fan of both and I eat it whenever I can get my hands on it haha.

I actually like it more than nay other type of meat or fruit.

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Well I have to admit I prefer fresh fruit and meat to dried ones but convenience certainly factors in. Drying fruits and meat can make them last MUCH MUCH longer and also eat them when you're out camping which you otherwise couldn't. Its also great because unlike some other preservation methods, the drying process doesn't remove a significant amount of the the nutrients in the food.

Where do you usually get your dried goods from Karto? If you enjoy them that much, maybe you should consider getting yourself a food dehydrator. They are fairly inexpensive and would enable you to make your own at home with whatever food you have lying around. Here's a page with a few listed on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-American-Harvest-FD-37-Dehydrator/dp/B003I4F7AS/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1362192512&sr=1-2

3. Karto

Karto Newbie

I usually buy them in bulk from a farmer's shop or the local store.

That's an interesting idea. Do you own one? How much time does it take to dehydrate the fruit?

4. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

I love jerky. Beef jerky. Deer jerky. Mixed jerky. Any jerky. I even like making my own jerky.

I don't often make dried fruit, though. I'm not a huge fan myself. The girls love when I make fruit leather, though.

5. Peaceweapon

Peaceweapon Newbie

I love dried beef jerky, its so delicious. Normal meat is yum too, its just hard to take it tramping safely. Dried fruit on the other hand is not so appealing for me. I prefer fresh fruit, nothing beats a juicy mandarin. I love the taste of blueberries and its hard to get that taste when its been dried. Fruit leather is not so bad, but on a hot summers day I like fresh fruit.

6. Karto

Karto Newbie

This is the first time I'm hearing about fruit leather!

What is it exactly?

I see it's some sort of rolled fruit, but what is it made of?

7. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

Where are you from, Karto? If you're familiar with "fruit roll-ups," that's what it is. It's sold as a candy, but when you make it yourself or buy other brands, it's almost entirely made of real fruit with little to no added sugar or chemicals.

Here is how I make mine: http://www.quirkycookery.com/2011/08/how-to-make-your-own-fruit-roll-ups-or.html

8. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Normally I just leave it in the dehydrator overnight. Also I noticed that some things take longer than others.

9. shaneparkins

shaneparkins Newbie

Dried fruit is something I would only eat if there was nothing else, would not touch dried meat. The nutritional value of such food is very low but I suppose you have to sacrifice taste for it to last longer but don't make a habit of eating it. You are far better to have fresh food but I know when you are out camping this is not possible, unless you are camping outside your local butchers.

10. lindsay365

lindsay365 Newbie

I dont like the Idea of taking foods that are not fresh, though I am not allergic anyway. If it is absolutely necessary, I would take dried fruits and meat but it is not my cup of coffee. They have a funny aftertaste that makes me feel like puking. Just for curiosity purposes, do you guys buy the dried fruits from the local stores or you dry them at home?

11. Junkbots

Junkbots Newbie

Dried fruit's shelf-life paired with the high amount of energy it provides makes it a must. Really, anything easily preserved is my food of choice while camping.

12. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

...? There is nothing wrong with the nutritional value of either and that would of course be an entirely different consideration to taste. I suppose you dislike the taste of such, but many people love dried meat i.e. jerky as well as either dried fruit or fruit jerky. In fact, I would have to ask where you are getting your information from since drying out one's food has been a major survival technique across multiple cultures - the Native Americans, the pioneers, most nomadic tribes, etc. Fresh food is great, but there is nothing wrong with either dried meat or fruit.

Draft saved Draft deleted