1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

DROWN PROOFING

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by Northern Dancer, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

IT'S THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN!
    Canadians and Americans enjoy an abundance of aquatic activities through thousands of waterfronts (ocean, lakes, rivers, and private pools) and recreational facilities. Tragically, hundreds of Canadians and Americans [and others too of course] die each year in water-related fatalities.

HOW MANY TIMES DO WE HAVE TO TELL YOU?
    In Canada alone there were almost 12,000 deaths between 1991-2013 and far more in the United States. From fishing, to swimming, to boating, to canoeing and every other activity by the water the results are tragic. It doesn't make any difference where you live - it is sad.

LEARN DROWN PROOFING METHODS
    upload_2017-4-3_18-20-11.jpeg

I understand that more people will drown 10 feet from safety.
    It makes a whole lot of sense to learn DROWN PROOFING, a simple method to protect yourself, and teach your children as well. Check it out on line - better than that - take the course - learn how to take care of yourself on the water.

OH YES...do it!
    upload_2017-4-3_18-30-59.jpeg

Great Organizations that Will Help You Get the Skills you Need.
    upload_2017-4-3_18-32-26.jpeg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHU670oY8jie_6w_pVrrJvDfNHXKJU27Lj8FDXqm-9VK6Gsn4b.png

Attached Files:

Madman4800 likes this.
  2. Northern Dancer

...update!
    Two drownings in our neck of the woods over the weekend. One, a 23 year old guy NOT WEARING A LIFE JACKET, was caught in a sweeper along the river. An 8 year old boy drowned when swept over a falls. The 37 year old man with him has been charged with impaired operation of a boat causing death.

We are off to a bad start. :(

3. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Ooh that's horrible. Why do some people feel they are indestructible? And to put someone else in danger because of one persons arrogance and recklessness. A simple thing like a life jacket, and abstaining from alcohol. I have no use for alcohol or drugs.

4. Northern Dancer

ANOTHER EASIER METHOD OF DROWN PROOFING IS
    ... tuck your knees up to your chest
    and lift up your arms and push the water back.
    What you are doing is rowing like you are in a row boat.

If you have an injured leg you place the heel of the good leg

above the knee and row like a boat.

Both circumstances will give you buoyancy and
    assists in keeping wave water out of your mouth.
    upload_2017-4-11_13-36-56.jpeg

Wear it and make sure it is approved.

WHAT ABOUT PULL THE CORD TYPE OF LIFE JACKET?
    Absolutely great if you are not unconscious when you hit the water.

5. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

You know I have never practiced these exercises. Being on the water as much as I am I realy should.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

6. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

Pardon me for asking but I wonder why there are so many such deaths by drowning. Perhaps the government should wage a campaign of awareness. Over here, when there is an accident like a wayward bus that went off the cliff, there would be a campaign to stir awareness on the safety of driving. Last year there were 7 students who drowned while on a field trip in a river, the government reacted by imposing safety measures in rivers and lakes. Maybe that's what the government should be doing to at least curtail the number of deaths in the water.

7. rz3300

rz3300 Explorer

I would say that there are circumstances that you really cannot understand until you are in them, and I was always the same where I was surprised by the amount of people dying this way but it continues to happen so it must be easier than it seems. Best thing you can do is learn from what you hear though.

8. Northern Dancer

...good comments rz3300 - it is impossible for governments to legislate "stupidness". As an outdoor instructor I'm always amazed at the behaviours of people. What seems so apparent to me isn't always to them. It is a learned behaviour - that is why we have instructors helping and assisting those who would develop their outdoor skills. :) The other reality is that North America in particular has an awful lot of lakes, streams and rivers to play in.

9. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I had a close call some years ago. I went fishing with a buddy of mine (mark), we fished together for years, and this time his neighbor (andy)came along and brought his bass boat. We were trout fishing several miles below a huge concrete hydroelectric dam, and when they were generating the river down stream was moving about 3 to 4 mph and the trout love it. We would run up steam and drift fish. Andy started pulling beer out of a cooler he had. Mark and I both objected to him drinking at that time, but gave in to him having, only one, after he pleaded. Mark and I don't drink while on the water or fishing, period. After awhile I was involved in my fishing and while drifting backward, andy was on the front mark was in the middle and I was on the back of the boat, I was rebating my hook when the boat stopped abruptly when it struck a submerged rock. All this happened in an instant. Andy fell on top of mark and they landed in the bottom of the boat. I shot straight off the back of the boat into the water. When the boat stopped that suddenly I had no control of what to grab on to. When you are on something moving even as slow as 3 mph and it stops suddenly, your body will not stop that quick. The life jacket popped me back up like a cork at the boat motor. It could've been very disastrous for me if I wasn't wearing a life vest. Andy didn't touch a drop of beer the rest of the trip and wore his life vest while on the water.

When you are on moving water or moving on water keep the life jacket on, and no alcohol.

10. Northern Dancer

...it's amazing what a little bit of experience can teach one. I was rather impressed with myself at how much my driving skills improved after a fender bender.

I'm not a drinker either - never have been not even as a teen. I didn't need it and could never fully appreciate what the excitement was about. It's only been fairly recently that the Province past legislation on drinking/drugs and the operation of a boat of any size. But there have already been tragedies this season.

11. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Alcohol and any type of mechanical machinery doesn't mix well. Most boating accidents in this area are contributed to alcohol. I have no use for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted