1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Dutch Oven

Discussion in 'Food' started by lorr, Jun 19, 2014.

1. lorr

lorr Newbie

Does anyone have some simple quick & good recipes for a dutch oven?

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I don't have any recipes in particular because I am usually not the one who does the cooking but I know from experience that recipes involving rice, vegetables, potatoes and beans all turn out great and are also very camping friendly since they don't require refrigeration or anything like that. Do you have a portable gas or electric dutch oven that you can bring with you on the go or do you just hang one over your camp fire?

3. lorr

lorr Newbie

We put the DO on the ground with coals around the bottom& coals on top. Often about 8 around it on the bottom & 5-6 on the top. You can make a stew with cut up meat & cut up potatoes, carrots, some onion & cut up green pepper, flour, water or broth & seasonings

4. lorr

lorr Newbie

For more on the above post...first brown the beep cubes in the DO. Add the rest & cook with 6 or 8 coals on the bottom & 5 on top, for 50 min. Or so.

5. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Using the coals like you said is a good tip that everyone should know, this way the heat is more consistent than over the flames and also the coals are the hottest part of the fire. So it is a good idea to let your fire burn for a little while until you develop a nice bed of embers before you start with your cooking.

Draft saved Draft deleted