1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Easy Hobo Dinner

Discussion in 'Food' started by 2sweed, Jul 16, 2013.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

As a child my mother always prepared a hobo dinner to cook in the coals of our fire at the campground. Sure we had the usual hot dogs and marshmallows, but she liked making healthier choices that also gave us instruction in cooking with the use of a camp fires hot ashes.

Easy Vegetable Hobo Stew
    The ingredients were cut up and packaged at home to save time in camp.
    Cut up raw potatoes and cut up carrots. Cut up onions and sliced mushrooms. Sometimes she would add cut up beef stew meat as an option ingredient if we had our coolers with us. Then she would pile the vegetables on a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil and drip olive oil over the vegetables. and then wrap them into a tight bundle. Then it was ready to use for cooking in the fire pit hot ashes. It is done when the all vegetables are cooked.

The following is a video on how to prepare a hobo dinner, as well as, some useful backpacking supplies and fire building tips.

2. bigteeth96

bigteeth96 Newbie

Wow I am surprised at how it turned out in the video. I wouldn't mind eating that at home with a little seasoning and maybe bread. But really, yum!

3. H_Bachman

H_Bachman Newbie

I've had this before on a camping trip and really enjoyed it. Maybe it would be easier for a good cook to make it perfect, but when we made it, it was hard to control how "done" it got; the vegetables were a little raw in the middle. Perfectly fine if you just have vegetables, but a little questionable if you're using meat. Until you get experience getting the contents of the hobo sack perfectly done every time, I'd recommend sticking to vegetables.

Draft saved Draft deleted