1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Eat with your hands or a spoon?

Discussion in 'Food' started by whnuien, May 7, 2014.

1. whnuien

whnuien Newbie

Whenever I'm out for camping I find it more satisfying when eating my food with hand. Of course I clean my hands very well before. I tried eating with a spoon or a fork but without a chair and a table to sit comfortably, it is not easy for me.

Would you eat using hand or still prefer to eat using a spoon at your camping site?

2. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

It really depends on the food.

We do tend to lean toward foods that we can prepare and eat with our hands instead of requiring utensils. I don't have any issues with standing with a plate and utensils or even sitting on the ground to eat instead, though, so it doesn't bother me if we have foods that need forks or spoons.

3. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I like my trusty fork, though depending on the food being eaten I could use my fingers. Some meats are more adapted to coming off the bone by pulling with fingers. In the case of soup one could drink it out of a cup, but spoons would be handy. This is an interesting question that I am sure more members will answer. :cool:

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

@2sweed that is always what I do with soup even at home (drink it out of a cup) haha.

What kind of stuff do you make at your camp sites though? For me I don't make a lot of messy foods so cutlery and is rarely necessary.

5. 2sweed

Depends on where I am and who I am with. When I visit friends at campsites they usually have chicken cooking over hot coals, sometimes rabbit or squirrel stew. Lots of times they have hotdogs and baked beans, all the fix'ens. But myself I travel light with dried foods and freeze dried meals trying to keep the weight in my pack down. I like fried potatoes and baked sweet potatoes, fresh caught grilled fish and taking some fresh fruits and trail bars to snack on.

6. campforums

Well sometimes when you have a stew like that it is thin enough and with small enough pieces to sorta half drink half eat it from a cup. Hot dogs of course have funs and are made for you hands :D but fried potatoes and grilled meat might not be finger foods lol

7. 2sweed

Thus the handy fork. I use a cup for most soups as well, as it is easier to drink the soup then spoon it and so a fork is good for most everything else.
    What foods do you take camping?? :happy:

campforums likes this.
  8. Francy

Francy Newbie

It would depend on the food. If it was potato salad or something like that, I would need to use a fork. If it's a hamburger or a hot dog, then I'd use my hands. Chips.....same thing. So it really just depends on the food being eaten, but if I can use a fork for the type of food that normally uses silverware, then yes I would use it.

9. whnuien

whnuien Newbie

I always avoid soup when going for camping :D I just dislike having too much work when it comes to eating sometimes. I've never really been picky when it comes to food, I just take anything I can but a roasted beef is a must though. I will roast them first at home then throw it into the fire at the camping site as a way to cook it :D (of course I do it carefully and avoid it from getting burnt). Have you done something like this?

10. campforums

Another thing is that when you are out camping you don't have to worry about having to wipe up spills as much as you do when you are eating in your home so people often get a little more casual and sloppy with their eating style.

11. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

I care a fork, knife, and spoon in my kit. That doesn't necessarily mean I'll use them, but I rather have them then not. I don't see the point in eating with my hands if I don't got to - also mild to moderate germaphobe so yeah... Eating with my hands isn't strictly something I'm comfortable with as a rule.

12. Sweetkymom

Sweetkymom Newbie

When camping, we usually have chicken, hotdogs and hamburgers over the grill along with some salads and chips. We do bring the extra luggage such as utensils, water and soap.

I can stand and/or sit on the ground to eat so having the extra things don't bother me.

Draft saved Draft deleted