1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Economically Viable RV?

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by SashaS, Mar 21, 2016.

1. SashaS

SashaS Novice Camper

I'm posting this in the Shelter section as I would assume your vehicle counts as a shelter if you are using it in that sense.

With me having more and more spare time on my hands by automating my work, I have started spending more of that time camping and my vehicle of choice is my Audi RS4 Avant, which is hardly ideal, but it is my car. I was looking into getting some sort of RV, for the sake of being able to go to a camping spot and use that as a shelter at the same time, as opposed to a tent.

The thing is, I have zero knowledge when it comes to recreational vehicles, caravans and that kind of thing. Money is not a big issue, but I'm hoping to get something more in the mid-range section, preferably a small model. I don't want something too opulent or high end, it just needs to be good enough for getting to what is usually an easily accessible area and it only needs to be big enough for one person. Fuel here is rather expensive so something light is ideal too. It doesn't need to have an entire kitchen in it as I usually bring my own cooking equipment.

I'm hoping to get some sort of feedback or opinions from you guys, since I figured this is the best place to ask. Thanks in advance for any ideas. Feel free to post your dream RV or caravan.

2. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Hello Sasha, I do more tent camping, but I know people that have motor Rv's, pull behinds, and my parents had a couple of pop ups. They all have they're ups and downs. You could go retro and get a nice tear drop that your audi can pull, or if you want a motor rv the class C are nice. I have thought about a small pull behind because I don't want to deal with up keep of a motor rv. I think a pull behind would be a better investment, less maintenance, cheaper insurance and registration, and it can be left at a camp site while you can run errands or explore with you vehicle. My friend had both a pull behind and an motor rv. He said the motor rv was an expensive pain because he couldn't just take off and go into town, so he purchaced a vehicle to pull behind, another expense with extra registration and insurance, and the motor rv mechanical maintenance to maintain and drank fuel.

I have thought about a small pull behind because I have a midsize 2 wheel drive truck that gets fair fuel economy, and a pull behind isn't realy costing much when I am not using it. I don't want to have something that drinks alot of fuel.

Anyhow these are just my views and opinions. If it's any help.

SashaS likes this.
  3. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

A lot of my friend have pop-up campers as they prefer sleeping up off the ground and yet like that camping tent feeling. Plus, of course are the added cooking space and in some an eating area. They like the ease of hauling and having a clear view behind them on the road. Set up is pretty straight forward and of course you have your car free for errands and exploring. The downside of it is canvas walls like a regular tent are not as protective as metal, as in keeping unwanted critters or people out, but that aside are fun to sleep in with more room to move about.

4. actadh

actadh Pathfinder

Do you know the towing capacity of your vehicle? That figure will also likely factor in the weight of the tow vehicle as well as what is being pulled.

Most teardrop type campers can be pulled with the towing capacity of a car. Going bigger, one has to factor in the wind resistance of a trailer that is taller than your vehicle, too.

Towing an RV is not as much of an issue as is stopping it.

5. SashaS

SashaS Novice Camper

Thanks for the informative replies. I've come to the conclusion that some sort of trailer would be way better. I don't camp often enough to spend tons of money on a full-fledged vehicle and a trailer would be much more suitable. I've given it some thought and just having a small trailer and a roof rack can help me take everything I need with me and I will then just sleep in a tent or bag, if the terrain does not allow that or its dangerous then I can always sleep in the car, which is spacious enough.

There are too many costs, especially with regards to maintenance, involved in using an R.V and at the moment I'm not willing to spend that kind of money. I'm not a fan of caravans and the premise of having this huge box being pulled behind your car is too dangerous for someone like me, especially given the general skill of the drivers in my area.

6. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

There is a video of a Volkswagen pulling a camper like this. Pretty funny. They weren't to popular, and I never seen one. a3169dd0b183753acdabc4edcf1445b9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

SashaS likes this.
  7. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

How about something like this on top of your Audi? 0c27bb9468a3fa8dcba41a70150a987d.jpg

I'm sure there is weight restrictions, so stay fit and thin. I thought about a canvas tent that can pop out of the bed of my truck when I open the bed cover and tail gate.

So many wonderful places
    So little time

8. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Depending on how often you plan on using it, rentals might be a viable option for you to look into.

9. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

RV is rare in our country that’s why my dream of having one remains a dream and probably in my lifetime. But my parents used to live in an RV when they were in Orange County in California – both were seniors already so they decided to get a cheaper accommodation with that RV instead of a comfortable apartment. From what I understand, an RV is a portable home complete with amenities so it is really a good companion in camping.

Draft saved Draft deleted