1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Edible Flowers

Discussion in 'Food' started by kevinkimers, Dec 8, 2014.

1. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Novice Camper

Did you know that there are flowers that you can eat? Knowing what plants are edible (and what parts are edible) is an important part of both Camping and Survival. It is also an interesting and new experience for some. I found this article that names a few flowering plants that are edible, some you find in the wild some in your garden. It is not a complete list of all edible flowering plants, or edible plants, but it is a good start.

Edible Flowers Chart

2. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

That is an interesting list of edible flowers, and I do have a few of those growing in my garden.
    I know we have another thread on edible plants and flowers; but I found this little video that shows five of the most common edible "weeds", as opposed to edible flowers.
    Most of these plants can be found almost everywhere, so no matter where you are from, you should be able to recognise at least part of the listed plants, and use them when you are out camping, and foraging for wild foods.

Dandilions, as an example, seem to be prolific everywhere, and unless buried under several feet of snow, can be found and eaten almost any time of year.
    All of the plant is edible.The roots can be roasted and added to coffee for an interesting change of flavor, almost like the chickory coffee so popular in some parts of the south.
    The blossoms can be used as tea, and also they can be batter di[[ed and fried, similar to a summer squash or a squash flower os cooked.
    The dandilions leaves are probably the most well-known edible part of the plant, and they have more nourishment than just about any other green you an eat.

For even more information on foraging for plants; I really like the eattheweeds.com webpage. They have good information, as well as videos on many of the common edible plants, as well as how fo find and prepare them.

3. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Novice Camper

Awesome video. I really liked it. I never heard of Goose Grass... got to try that one.

4. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

Another edible plant that grows almost everywhere is sweet clover. The blossoms are loaded with vitamins, and can be added to salads for a pretty red, white, or purple color addition. The leaves can also be put into a salad, or cooked like you would do with spinach or any other green. Because clover leaves are already so small, you don't even need to chop them up. I have added a handful into my green smoothies, and they are as good as spinach. Clover is not as bitter as dandelion greens are, and can be eaten just about anytime of year.

Some benefits of red clover:
    http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-red-clover.html

2sweed likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted