1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Edible Wild Plants & Berries

Discussion in 'Nature' started by 2sweed, Apr 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Winter Cress (Barbarea valgaris)
    There are different types of cress that are found in the wild. Many people think about Water Cress that grows in and along stream beds. I have a different type growing in my backyard called Winter Cress. This is a wild plant that seems to enjoy growing under the apple tree behind my shed.

It grows from 1-4 feet high and has a flower that is about 1/2 inch wide. The flowers are yellow and clustered atop erect stems with glossy leaves that are deeply lobed and rounded. They are often found in fields and meadows, and woodland edges. Often some types of this plant's leaves will stay green in flat rosettes beneath ice and snow. And new plants appear during brief thaws. All winter long they can be used in salads or cooked like Swiss chard in a pot. But they can be too bitter to eat while flowering and until the killing frost.
    This video shows more information on identity and how to harvest and cook this wild plant.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  2. 2sweed

OSTRICH FERN (Matteuccia struthiopteris)
    Ways to identify: This fern grows from 2-6 feet tall. It grows in a vase shaped clump and has sterile fronds that are plume-like. the widest above the midpoint, and with deeply lobed leaflets. The fertile fronds are shorter, and hard brown and erect in the winter. The opened frond leaves are poisonous. Only the young fern fiddleheads are edible, which grow in the spring. Pick only those unfurled ones, that are 2-8 inches high. If any have started to open , toss them away. The stem is V shaped like celery stalks and the V in the stem is always pointed toward the center of the fern clump. These fiddleheads are a bright green, beware of the white hairy fiddleheads and also the narrow stemmed of other types of un-edible ferns.

To Clean: Put cool water in your sink and dump in the fiddleheads. Swish them around and pick off the rusty brown paper thin covering inside the curled leaf. Rinse several times. To Cook: Boil for 10 minutes or steam them 10-15 minutes. Similar in taste to asparagus. DO NOT EAT THEM RAW!

These ostrich ferns are found in the upper eastern and central areas of the United States and Canada. Look for them in damp wooded areas and swamps, and along stream banks.

3. 2sweed

I have always wanted to try hunting for wild mushrooms, but even with pictures in books and drawings of different mushrooms I have been a bit scared of picking the wrong kind. It is always a good idea to ask someone who knows how to spot the good ones from the bad, regardless of how you get your information on identifications. I found these video's that get up close and personal with morel mushrooms and it seemed like their wrinkled looking tops might be easy to spot. I will add more information about mushrooms in other posts.
    MOREL MUSHROOM
    Size: 1-2 inches wide and 1 1/2- 4 inches high. Look for cap continuous with stem, gray or light yellow to brown with rounded ridges and rounded or irregular pits; stem is white. Habitat information is found in old orchards and broad-leaved forests, grassy areas and wet low areas. Often found near recently dead elms and sometimes in gardens.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  4. 2sweed

Here is a second video that shows the mushroom heads clearer and might help in your examination and collection of these edible mushrooms.

5. 2sweed

Wild Leek (Allium tricoccum)
    Look for white flowers, star-like, in a rounded cluster atop leafless stem; leaves are elliptical and clustered at the base of the stem. Lower part of stem is purple red in color. Found in wooded areas, and are more noticeable in the Springtime. In bloom June through July. Again I feel that a video will help you more easily find the plants. Leeks are very strong in smell and flavor. If you collected them put them in a sealed container or bag, as they will smell up your car.

6. 2sweed

Continuing the journey of finding, Wild Leeks or Ramps, in the later part of the summer, is harder as the leaves are gone and only the stem with flower cluster is visible and so watch this second video which gives wonderful detail on what to look for and how many to pick. Never take all that you find as it will deplete the bed, thus no more the next year.

7. 2sweed

Indian Cucumber (Medeola)
    This plant is recognized by the whorls of leaves. The upper whorl of leaves usually has only three and from the center droop the distinctive flowers or dark purple berries. The bottom set of leaves is a whorl of 5-7 leaves. The plant grows 1-3 feet tall and the flowers are 1/2-3/4 inch wide. The flowers are greenish yellow with 6 tepals up-swept from reddish stamens and 3 fuzzy brown stigmas, and as mentioned above the leaves borne in 2 whorls along the stem. It is found in rich woods and in bottom lands. It blooms from May through June. Found all along the eastern United States and from the mid sections of the US, up into eastern and through parts of western Canada.
    The edible part of this plant is the short white tuber at the end of the roots. The rest of the plant is not edible. It tastes similar to a cucumber.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  8. 2sweed

Edible Lichens:
    Iceland Moss (Cetraia islandica)
    Reindeer Lichen (Cladonia Rangiferina)
    Rock Lichen (Umbilicaria)
    Although each of these types of moss or lichen can be eaten, do so only if in an emergency. Lichens have a very slow rate of growth and many are centuries old. That means quite a waste of those that are crushed underfoot or scraped from rocks by rock climbers. Lichens are in fact two forms of life in one plant. Fungi and algae form each plant, thus they that are edible contain vitamins and minerals, and some medicine properties. Lichens and mosses, are very acid and bitter. It is said that if eaten they be boiled in water repeatedly two or three times to remove the acid and bitterness or you might end up with a stomach ache for all your trouble. I have included references to a video showing the Rock Tripe, and another reference showing the two very poisonous types to avoid as they are not edible and very toxic and could kill you if eaten. These are called Wolf Lichen and Sunshine Lichen, which are a greenish yellow or a sulphur yellow color. If any lichen or moss, is yellow or has any yellow on it do not use it as food.
    http://www.eattheweeds.com/edible-cladonia-what’s-not-to-lichen-2/

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  9. 2sweed

Eastern White Pine (Picea strobus))
    When in survival mode another food source can be found in pine and spruce, and hemlock trees. The pine nuts are edible, as well as, the new growth and tea can be made from the needles and the sap can be chewed like gum.
    However, there are a few trees that need to be avoided as parts if not all of them are toxic. The Australlian Pine, is not really a pine tree. However, the red sap is drinkable and the seeds are edible, although tastier if they are toasted.
    Ponderosa Pine (Pinus ponderosa), Lodge Pole Pine (Pinus contorta), and the Monterey Pine (Pinus radiata), all contain a toxic element called isocupressic acid and should be avoided. The Yew Tree (taxus brevifolia), may look like a pine tree, but it is actually a evergreen conifer. Eating any part of this tree can cause dizziness and abdominal pain and cramping, dry mouth and rashes, and discolored skin. It can be potentially fatal and should be avoided.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  10. 2sweed

When out on the trail or camping in the backwoods the idea of having pancakes or a good spread for your bread, might spark your taste buds. While you might have brought packets of honey or jelly along this video shows how to make pine or spruce honey from the smaller new green growths that appear on the trees each spring. This would be a tasty treat to go along with a cup of tea or coffee.
    While it might be easier to be made at home, a bit of forward thinking would enable you to make it in the woods. I am looking forward to making some of this special honey this Spring. How about you? Does it sound worth the trouble to make it?

11. 2sweed

If you go back to the first page of this section on edible wild plants and watch the ones about Cattails, then this information will be more useful to you. If you ever want to make some muffins on a wild diet and have no eggs to use, then go dug up some fresh cattail roots. The fresh roots are nice and sticky and will act like eggs in the batter. However, first you must pound the tubers into a paste and then add it to the flour and the water. If your really adventurous you can use cattail flour, (which must be prepared ahead of time by the drying or roasting of the root.) Then mix the batter and pour it into aluminum foil muffin tins and set them to bake in the ashes of your camp fire.

12. 2sweed

I wanted to make mention that it is very important to do a great deal of study on the subject of eating off the land, that way you will be sure of finding the edible plants and leaving the toxic ones alone. As in most North American wild flower petals are edible, but the flower centers of a few are very toxic. Like the Daisy. Fresh-picked daisy petals are great on peanut butter sandwiches, but the center of the daisy is toxic and can make you quite sick.

If you eat flower petals you need to be sure you know what flower the petal is from. Some flowers like the foxglove don't have petals and are very toxic. Also remember although, many North American wild-flower petals are edible please do not think it is safe to wander into someones flower garden and start munching on their flowers. Many gardens contain imported flowers from around the world. Many are deadly. Don't eat any part of a plant until you know from study and research that it is alright. Remember some plants can be eaten at one season and not another. The leaves of the tomato plant and the eyes and leaves of the potato plants, as well as, the leaves of rhubarb plant, all common garden plants contain poisons, and are extremely toxic.
    (Poinsettias and rhododendrons, mountain laurels and mistletoe berries are very poisonous.)

Like I have added the video of the fiddle-head fern. It can be eaten only in the early spring while it's leaves are curled up tight and there is no purple showing. The instant they uncurl and even a tiny bit of the purple is showing they are dangerous to eat. But you can eat the cattail and the dandelions, just be sure not to use them in areas where weed killers and pesticides have been used, as along roadways or high traffic boating areas where they may have absorbed lead from gasoline fumes. Dandelions can pass this poison on to you and you could die from it.

13. 2sweed

SPICEBUSH (Lindera benzoin)
    For a nice quick survival tea find the young spicebush twigs. Use about a teaspoonful of them cut into very short pieces. Then drop them in a cup of water and bring the water to a boil, and let it boil from 3-5 minutes. But if you are at home and want a much better tea go and pick some branches from a spicebush and hang them upside down to dry. When the leaves are dry, pick them off and put them in a container that can be sealed tight. Even after a year this tea will remain full of flavor. Just take a spoonful of the dried leaves and boil them for 5 minutes, and enjoy.

14. 2sweed

Elderberry (Sambucus)
    On the first page I had told you about using Elderberries And different ways of preparing edible food from them. Now I have another recipe for you that uses the flowers, that are available in early to mid-summer. The recipe could be cut down in use while camping, or it can be produced at home, by first cooking it, then cooling, or by canning the syrup.

Elder Flower Syrup
    50 heads of fresh elder flowers
    12 cups of water
    7 1/2 cups of sugar
    1 teaspoon citric acid
    3 lemons
    Rinse flower heads. Use a table fork to comb through the flower heads over a large non-metal bowl, to remove individual flowers. (do not use leaves or woody stems, they are toxic). In a saucepan bring the water and sugar, and citric acid to boiling. Pour the sugar syrup over the flowers. Squeeze juice from lemons, stir into syrup mixture. Cover and chill for 4 days. Strain through a cheesecloth. Then chill up to a month.

OR

In a saucepan boil the syrup. Pour hot syrup into clean hot pint jars. Adjust the lids. Process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes, (start timer when water boils.) This recipe makes 7 pints of syrup.

15. 2sweed

Chicory (Cichorium intylus)
    This roadside plant that has quarter-sized blue flowers is native to Asia and Europe. It was brought to America as a decorative flower and pot herb. While it is very plentiful it is seldom gathered or known as being useful as substitute coffee. This wild plant makes excellent coffee if you know how to prepare it.

All one has to do is dig up the roots, then wash and dry them. Then roast in a pan in the oven. When dry the roots will be hard and dry, and dark brown on the inside when done. Then, simply grind the roots and add to coffee. One can stretch three pounds of coffee out of one pound, just by adding chicory to it. Confederate soldiers drank coffee made from chicory. And Robert E. Lee's army from northern Virginia, drank the brew without any ill effects as well.
    It is said when chicory is added to regular coffee it improves the flavor. And that chicory coffee by it's self is better than most bean coffee.

To identify the plant look for leaves that resemble a dandelion. As the plant develops it produces a stem that is tough as a coat hanger wire. The leaves are dark green and sparingly toothed. the flower is robin-egg blue in color and about the size of a quarter. In the axil of the leaves the flowers form with the coming of spring. In Europe, flower pots are placed over the plants when they first pop out of the ground, as this turns them all-white a sort of blanching, and then they are used in salads.

Dried chicory can be stored away in jars for use during the fall and winter months.

It can be found along roadsides and in fields, pastures and in backyards and meadows. It is found in the eastern and western states, as well as, up into Canada and over in Europe. Found more easily in the Springtime of each year.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  16. 2sweed

Dandelion Coffee
    Since I have shared about the edible parts of the dandelion plant in an early post I am going to just share this video on how to make the coffee from the roots with the use of your camp fire. I hope you find this enjoyable as well as, another thing to note for survival camping.

17. 2sweed

White Pine Tea
    To make a batch of white pine needle tea, simply gather five or six clumps of green needles from a low hanging tree branch. Rinse the clumps well and chop the needles into small pieces. Steep in boiling water for about 15 minutes. Add to your cup of tea sweeter such as honey, and you will have a refreshing beverage high in Vitamin C.

18. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

You can also make a delicious pine vinegar that tastes and smells similar to balsamic vinegar. What I did was gather a few branches of pine needles from the ends of the branches, and the tiny end branches. I washed the needles, shook them a little to dry, and then took scissors and snipped the needles to about 1/2 to an inch long.

I put about 2" in the bottom of a quart jar, and filled it with vinegar. I used apple cider vinegar, but you can also use plain white vinegar, and it comes out a prettier green that way. Just let it sit for about a week before you use it, and I left the needles in the bottom so it would get stronger, but you cam also strain the needles out if you want. I then used it like any vinegar when making salad.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  19. 2sweed

Thanks for sharing this recipe for pine vinegar, sounds like something I will want to try to make. Would be great for use with a wild plant salad.

happyflowerlady likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.