1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Encounter with a MOLOK

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Northern Dancer, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I've been acquainted with these sanitary creatures for years and have used them frequently without any hassle. They sit there from season to season receiving donations from capers from every part of the globe. MOLOKS! Gigantic Garbage bins exclusive to this neck of the woods.

They receive just about anything and everything - including your car keys should you be so careless.

I just didn't drop my keys into the depths; no, I artistically threw them in with my garbage bag.

Staring blankly into a twenty foot drop, eyes and mouth wide open, belittling thoughts crashing in my head, I was aghast, how could I be so brainless?

I flagged down the first Warden I saw and told him my predicament. "You aren't the first one," he said, with a pleasant smile. "Let's see what we can do."

A set of keys lying hopelessly on a heap of garbage twenty feet below is not an easy target to hook. We tried and tried to no avail and then the Warden said in frustration, "I have a better idea - I'll be back in half an hour."

I paced back and forth like an expectant father until over the distant hill I could see this humongous tank like machine approaching. On board were the Ottawa Valley Waste Recover Centre Team - the Molok Guys. The vehicle gasped and came to a halt. Mike jumped down from the cab that was five feet off the ground.

"Hi," he said in a reassuring manner. I shared my tale of idiocy as he unlocked a box on the side of the truck. "We'll take care of it," he said confidently.

In a moment he had on an instrument vest and with nibble fingers manipulated this dinosaur looking claw. It moved about quietly as if it had a mind of its own. It stopped dead right over this steel head fixed firmly onto the handles and slowly lifted this huge bag from its chambers.

It gently rocked back and forth until Troy grabbed hold and released the mechanism that held the bottom together. Out spilled the garbage, the dirt water AND my precious keys.

I stooped down to pick them up when Mike said, "Don't do that!" He picked them up with gloved hands, took them to another compartment of the truck and commercially sanitized them. As he handed them to me he said, "You have yourself a good day now."

No sooner had he done that Troy had the claw back in its place. Mike and Troy were gone as quickly as they had arrived.

I stood there - very thankful that I could get on with the business of the day and have a good one at that.

*The first thing I did when I got home was to send a thank you note.

IMG_1066.jpg
    It looks so innocent

Madman4800 likes this.
  2. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

They look so innocent! BUT YOU FELT LIKE THIS WHEN IT SWALLOWED YOUR KEYS!
    Bugs.gif
    THEN THEY RESCUED YOUR KEYS!
    23750799-4a0a-4b23-837d-706433c2a190.jpg

Northern Dancer likes this.
  3. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

-----> Dead on! Talk about being hopeless. I have to admit the guys were really great and didn't make me feel any more badly than I already felt. It's all part of the experience.

killeroy154 and Bibsoutdoors like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted