1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Eureka Chrysalis Camping Hammock Review - Video

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by backpackhiker, Feb 4, 2014.

1. www.campinghammockreviews.com

I decided to take out the Eureka Chrysalis Hammock for the first time. I had just had a baby so I have not been able to get out for a while so I was really looking forward to this getaway. I arrived fairly early after work with fellow YouTube blogger BearTrapJason and we scoped out a great spot to set up. The night went great, good food, good company and a warm fire. Finally it was time to go to sleep and I climbed in the Eureka Chrysalis for what I thought was going to be a great nights rest…

Once I got into my hammock after about 5 minutes I noticed my hammock was beginning to lower to the ground slightly. So I got out, readjusted my knots and climbed back in only to have the same problem. After readjusting my knots about 4 times BearTrapJason showed me a new knot that worked a lot better for my circumstance, the truckers hitch. In addition to that there was a shortage of trees and I saw a video once where someone tied a weaker tree to a strong tree to support their hammock. I have also done this in the past successfully. So I thought why not try it again. This time it didn’t work so well, after all of my knots were holding tight the line broke between the trees and I was on the ground. So I had to relocate my entire set up to a new spot at 12:30 in the morning. My night in the Eureka Chrysalis didn’t start off well, but that was not really the hammocks fault.

Overall I liked the comfort level of the Eureka Chrysalis, there was no shoulder squeeze and it was a really flat lay. You could easily sleep on your stomach or side. The hammock itself weighs in at about 5lb 10 oz so it is a heavy set up to carry out if you are a light weight camper. The description of this product is poor on the Eureka’s web site and the designer’s web site. I cannot find the maximum weight for this hammock. Based on its construction I would guess it could hold up to 250lb but do not take my word for that. I also do not think it would be comfortable for anyone over 6 feet tall.

The suspension that comes with this hammock is webbing straps that take a couple of uses to stretch out. I found that once you tie a knot in these straps and it tightens up it is much harder to untie than your typical suspension system. This is probably why most companies that use webbing as their suspension system have other was of securing it than knots. For example Warbonnet has a carabineer to simply wrap around the tree and clip in and Jacks R Better have their Tri glide system that you feed the webbing through. Both systems work great and are much better than the Eureka Chrysalis suspension.

One thing that I loved about the hammock was the storage space at the foot and head of the hammock. I was able to store all of my clothing, recording equipment, water, and other gear in them and still sleep comfortably in the hammock. It also has a ridgeline that can hold various gear.

The Eureka Chrysalis was an extremely comfortable sleep but if you are a restless sleeper I think this hammock would be easy to roll out of as it is fairly narrow in the centre. This hammock also has a double layer inside for a sleeping pad to be inserted making for a more comfortable sleep and a warmer sleep. The hammock is made to be step up with the Camper Sleeve and the Tropical Sleeve which can be purchased separately. If you do not purchase these items there is no bug net.

I did like the hammock but I think it is too heavy in comparison to other hammocks in it class.

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Thanks for the review, I normally use a tent when camping but I do have an open sort of lounge hammock that I set up in my back yard during the summer. I do imagine this type of thing would be much more comfortable than sleeping with rocks or roots jabbing into you through the bottom of a tent, do you agree? Also, the one thing I would be nervous about is the cord coming undone and awaking painfully as I hit the ground :dead:

3. Hey Erik, You made some good points, I don't know if your lounge hammock would be comfortable overnight or not but the hammocks I have reviewed are amazing for comfort. I will never sleep on the ground again. As far as the cordage coming loose, if you know some basic knots you will be fine.

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

It is probably not suitable for overnight because it doesn't have a cover like yours so bugs would get at me while I sleep quite easily and it might get kinda cold exposed like that. I know it would probably be secure but it is just that feeling of weightlessness and swinging back and forth that is a bit spooky to get used to.

I'll be looking forward to seeing more reviews from you on here :D

Draft saved Draft deleted