1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Ever Cook & Eat A Crayfish?

Discussion in 'Food' started by 2sweed, Jul 28, 2013.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Some friends of mine from down south love eating crayfish. They often fix an entire meal in one pot. Now I am not much for the cajun spiced ones, but many people enjoy eating them that way.

I have added a video on how to cook crayfish, but I thought that for those of us on the trail or camping the instructions on how to clean crayfish would be worth watching. It seems anything that lives on the bottom of lakes or streams, need to be well cleaned out before cooking. While we would just put them in boiling water to cook it never hurts to learn other methods of preparing crayfish.

This video shows cooking crayfish on a large scale, with many cajun spices in the water which makes the water look rusty. They also threw in lots of corn on the cob and had a bag of potatoes in the mix. Pay close attention at the end of the video on how to eat a crayfish. Enjoy!

2. bigteeth96

bigteeth96 Newbie

I've only done so in Runescape, sadly.
    I wouldn't know where to start really. And in the rare case that I do catch one, I don't exactly know what parts to eat and what not to eat.

3. H_Bachman

H_Bachman Newbie

To me, it always seemed like a great deal of work for so little meat. I know that in colonial Maine, lobsters were seen as "poor people food" for a similar reason. Funny that both lobsters and crayfish are now considered something of a delicacy. I'd certainly be curious to consume it after foraging for it myself, though; sure would be satisfying. I wonder how it's regulated-- I'm sure this varies by state, but I wonder if you need some kind of a permit to collect it.

I've never caught them and prepared them myself, but I have eaten them in restaurants. Pretty much the only thing you eat is the tail. The rest of the body contains the guts, chitin, and various other nasties to be discarded.

4. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

I don't like crayfish - they look creepy and I hate the idea of boiling something alive. It's why I don't eat crab or lobster as a rule. That said they're easy enough to catch if you want to go to the trouble of snacking on them.

5. 2sweed

I think most of us would only resort to eating them if nothing else was available and we were starving. Otherwise, like said it is a lot of work for such a little bit of meat. But I know of many people in the south that love to eat them, like the frog legs and the snapping turtles. Just having the knowledge of how to eat them is worthwhile even if you never do it.

6. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

You'd be surprised how easy to catch they are. When I was a kid I used to be able to catch dozens and dozen of them just wading around in the shallow part of a lake up north of where I live. I had never though to try and cook them, I was just messing around and having some fun. It is probably for the best though, these days you have to be careful what you eat with all the pollution and contaminants in certain areas.

7. 2sweed

I recently read a article about a crayfish called the "Rusty Crayfish", seems it is invading Pennsylvania, from the mid-western states. It is much larger than the native crayfish and is bigger and more aggressive as well. Anyone here ever heard of this species?

8. campforums

To be honest, even if I had caught a bucket full of nice big ones like in the video, I think I would still be a little nervous to eat them. With so many pollutants out there these days, you have to be careful about eating anything you catch from certain lakes.

9. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

Yes, and I love 'em!

I have a video somewhere of us teaching some kids how to pop them apart and eat them, but I can't seem to find it yet. They were so grossed out at first, but then so excited once they learned how to do it themselves.

It's been a long time since I've had any, though, since I love closer to a city instead of the country now.

10. campforums

Do they taste like shrimp?

11. HikingHans

HikingHans Novice Camper

Indeed, I too have enjoyed crayfish in the past. Its been many years since we've caught and fried them up, but they are delicious. We used to just boil them, but properly prepared with spices, is even better.

Draft saved Draft deleted