1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Everything But The Kitchen Sink

Discussion in 'Food' started by missyify, Aug 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. missyify

missyify Survivalist

My grandparents bought us a very beautiful, very cumbersome "camping" grill. I use the term camping loosely because it requires a full size propane tank and it's huge... It takes up an entire rubbermaid bin not even including the tank. I was thinking of replacing our actual grill at home with it and using something else for camping. I do enjoy cooking over a fire and we have a small Coleman butane stove because the camp grill is also inefficient at doing anything other than grilling.

I have a cast iron skillet and dutch oven that I love for the fire. I guess I'm just wondering what other options are out there for cooking food. The past few camping trips we had a horrible time getting a fire going with wet wood that we were required to buy at the camp store. The small camping stove we have is still a little too small for the amount of cooking I have to do. I was intrigued by the Biolite camp stoves but the reviews seem mixed. I have to do a lot of cooking meat and vegetables, we can't do simple stuff like sandwiches because my boys have a million food allergies. Should I just buy another small stove or maybe one with two burners? Anything to stay away from?

Also if anyone has ideas for how to store meat for a few days, that would also be helpful. Thanks!

2. missyify

missyify Survivalist

I guess this would technically fall under "Gear" now that I think about it...

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

For large trips with big groups it might come in handy. I would also agree that for certain things the campfire isn't great, if I'm cooking eggs or steak I prefer to use a portable grill/stove.

I would suggest packing according to what recipes you plan on cooking while you are on the trip. For example, you might be able to get away with not bringing any camp stoves and instead bringing a grate for the fire and maybe a large pot to make some stew or burgers. Whereas if you aren't planning anything like that maybe you want to cook eggs and chicken and need a more uniform cooking surface then you can bring your gas grill.

It depends the weather of course but usually if you freeze the meat first and then fill your cooler with ice, it can last a good 2 days pretty easily. I would suggest bringing an extra cooler just for your meat because you don't want the warm air getting in every time you open it up to grab a drink. Also duct tape can be great to keep the seal.

There is a little overlap between categories, this post seems pretty food oriented to me but if you like I can move it.

4. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I have an old coleman 2 burner stove that uses white gas. Not regular gasoline. You can buy the ones that will run on either for about a hundred bucks. I have seen several at antique shops for around 30 to 50 dollars.

7d96ef44d0cbfeb8011ab71deaaa9ee5.gif .

This one is similar to the one I use. They are easy to use, clean, transport and is very dependable. The tank slides off and stores inside behind the burners, and then closes up a little thicker than a brief case. There are some 3 burner stoves out there to. My sister has and still uses the one my parents had since the 60,s.

I remember the winter of 77 there was so much snow and ice in east tn that we we had no electricity for 2 days. We were out of school part of January and February. Mom and dad hung up some old quilts over the living room doorway, and we stayed warm in there with a couple of kerosene lamps, and mom cooked all our meals on that old 3 burner stove.

You can purchase white gas (or coleman fuel) at most sporting goods stores for about 9 dollars a gallon. A gallon lasts me maybe 2 years, but it depends on how much you cook.

Not a back packing item. I never had any leaks when I store it, and I never drain the fuel out after a camping trip. The propane ones work good, but I don't like throwing the empty bottles in the landfill.

This are just my preferences. I love my stove.

campforums likes this.
  5. missyify

missyify Survivalist

I think the grate for the fire is probably a good idea... We can't have eggs, but I do have a cast iron griddle that maybe could go over the grate? I guess? Cooking for my family is cooking for a crowd... My mom easily eats less than any one of my kids. Sometimes we have my stepkids too and they are in that eat their weight in food phase (I'm scared to think what will happen when my kids get to that age since my kids are "supposed" to be in the eat half of a chicken nugget phase...)

I don't know why I didn't think of the second cooler idea, but that's really helpful!

I'm trying to downsize camping gear because now we have a lot of "toys". For our trip next week, we'll have our 3 kayaks, 2 rentals for my stepkids, and 6 bikes... Fishing gear... Even with our huge passenger van, that's a lot of stuff. If I hear I'm bored one time I'm gonna lose my mind lol.

6. missyify

missyify Survivalist

I've seen some similar to that at the store which is what I was mulling around in my head vs the fancy Biolite... That might really be the best option. I rarely use more than 2 burners at home. I have to be simple and efficient or else I'll never get the chance to eat. Though it was kinda nice to throw like 20 chicken thighs on the grill, but I'd like to have the campfire grate for that... Takes up a lot less space.

7. missyify

missyify Survivalist

Also backpacking won't really be an option until they're a little older... And hopefully they either outgrow their allergies (unlikely at this point but still a possibility) or more portable options become available. The market is coming around... Recently found some safe jerky, macro bars, and a few other snacks.

8. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

If I'm not using an open flame or a home made stove I tend to use this when tripping...
    upload_2016-8-1_14-21-41.jpeg
    This is a Primus Stove and you can purchase three sizes of fuel cans. At the end of the trip I knock off the connector and recycle the can. You cannot do that with the propane cans.

Speaking of which in our neck of the woods the cost of a propane can has increased in cost significantly. Awhile back the government charged more for leaded gas. The result of which saw the decline of leaded fuels and finally the disappearance of the same. I wonder? Is there a move afoot to get ride of those propane canisters?

9. missyify

missyify Survivalist

Ahh yes my mom has one of those. It makes me a little nervous but maybe worth my anxiety since the cans can be recycled. Definitely much more portable.

10. Northern Dancer

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------> :)

If you use it correctly there isn't any problem just like anything else you can use. I have other stoves too including the stove/oven combination. I should not have bought that - I hardly use it. In fact...let me see...not including the two homemade wood stoves I have, 1,...2...3...4...5. One for every camp situation.:rolleyes:

missyify likes this.
  11. Northern Dancer

...sorry, I have six - I forgot that I too have an old gas Coleman. (It's hard to believe that they still make them.)

12. missyify

missyify Survivalist

I'm sure the camp fire is probably more dangerous with kids running around. I think the source of my anxiety is that it doesn't look like it's on lol. You're right though as long as someone's monitoring it, it shouldn't be an issue.

13. Northern Dancer

...what I recommend is you draw a circle around the fire - cross the line and the fire goes out. Depending on the age I get them to assist in building it. [A great teaching moment and an opportunity to manage the safety rules.] This is where camping all begins. Soon they are pro at it.

14. missyify

missyify Survivalist

Yeah my bio kids are fine except the baby of course. I don't know about my stepkids since we've never taken them camping and I'm not sure if they've actually ever been camping. My 4yr old helps, my 2yr old knows to stay back and has his own job collecting sticks; they know the routine. Shoot both of them are capable of cutting their own food with steak knives but my stepson is 9 and I had to teach him. He's the one I'm worried about lol.

The biggest issue with my bio kids is just the youngest two running across the tent as we're trying to get it up. I think since I also have just general anxiety, I overthink everything. However it also enables me to arrive at the realization that it's more important to teach than constantly shelter. From what I've seen and read about children growing up today, it's scary. My stepkids definitely get a lot of opportunities for activity and "unsafe" things like cutting their own food and learning to peel a sweet potato with us.

15. missyify

missyify Survivalist

Which is what makes me think the suggestion buying a small cheap tent for them to set up on their own will help with our tent dilemma lol... They just want to feel like they're helping with the task at hand, which is why my 2yr old proudly gathers his little sticks for the fire.

16. Northern Dancer

...now you are on the right ---------------> track. But bless yah, when it comes children that age I call...I mean I scream for help. :)

17. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Haha

A cast iron griddle is perfect for on top of a grate. It helps distribute the heat more evenly too if you're cooking. Is there an egg allergy or something in your family? They are one of my favorite foods! (See the icon for the food section) :p

That is a lot.... Do you use a trailer to carry it all?

18. missyify

missyify Survivalist

I do if I'm stuck inside the house with them ha. That's why my living room looks like a jungle gym for when they can't be outside ie severe weather. They have rain suits so they're still outside if it's raining. The great outdoors makes all the difference, especially when they're still young and they haven't been conditioned to be constantly entertained by an adult or screen. Getting camp set up is difficult, but once that's done it's fantastic.

19. missyify

missyify Survivalist

That's good to know. I don't really use the griddle at home anymore.

Yeah both of my boys are allergic to dairy and eggs. Then my littlest guy is also allergic to soy, tree nuts, and peanuts as well. We loved eggs too but we all adhere to the same restrictions because the boys are too little to understand, they just want to eat everything and there was a few too many close calls. We are actually doing Auto Immune Protocol right now which is a more strict version of paleo to hopefully help with my son's eczema... Which seems to be working. It definitely complicates anything that requires food, though.

Anyway, my husband informed me that we won't be renting the extra kayaks, but we are borrowing a trailer from his coworker. I hope he decides against taking the bikes. We have a nice offroad trail close to home.

20. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

You must have the patience of a saint. I don't think I could keep up with them.

The task of gathering sticks for fire wood is a fabulous idea for your 2 year old. Maybe the 4 year old, and any other brother or sister, would be content with trying to erect a tent. I have 2 inexpensive ones that I think cost about 50 bucks each. They are 7 X 7 small dome with 2 poles and rainfly. I have had them for years and my nephew and I slept in one last spring. I have slept in one and used the other for kitchen and fishing gear also.

Well,,, if any of them get to be to roudy, and you need to do something with them, since you weren't to keen on my last idea of tieing them to a tree. Get a length of rope, a couple of strong bungy cords from local hardware store and one of those bucket swing seats. Hang the rope from a tree limb attach bungy cords to rope then to swing seat. Make sure their feet don't quite touch the ground or they may get out. .

Eh maybe not good idea that would look like a lively hanging food pack to a passing bear.

Or,,, get one of those inflatable tube things with the duck head and seat made to it, and take them out in the lake to where their feet barely touch bottom, and then anchor it. They won't go anywhere.

Hats off to you missyify. Keep them kids camping, and teach them about the great outdoors.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

missyify and Northern Dancer like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted