1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Family in Puerto Rico

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by missyify, Sep 29, 2017.

1. missyify

missyify Survivalist

Hi everyone,
    I'm desperate to try and help my family in PR. They have no water or power and are drinking rain water. I found out the main branch of their post office is finally open for pickups and I'm trying to send small stuff that can make it through. Does anyone have suggestions?

They are using a camp stove to cook what food they have.

My grandpa and I are sending emergency rations, I sent some water purification tablets, and a hand crank USB charger. I'm looking at "survival water" packs but it looks like it will take weeks being shipped by sellers on Amazon.

The heat is pretty rough. Illness is breaking out in some areas like conjunctivitis and what not. My uncle had already been in line for hours for gas when I called my grandma for an update this morning. The family members there have to go near working cell phone towers to send updates.

It's unclear just when water and power will be restored. The governor is saying the power grid isn't even a short term goal right now.

Even so, my family has been spared the worst of it because my aunts house is ok and the ones living in San Juan are going to be the first to get help. One family member has a ticket to leave on Sunday...

Thanks any ideas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I have no idea. That was a tragic storm, and I wish them well. My heart goes out to them.

3. Madman4800

Madman4800 Survivalist

I'm very sorry to hear about your family. If you buy supplies locally ship them by US mail using flat rate boxes, its far cheaper than UPS or FedEx and its much quicker. Have you thought about a survival guide book it may give them some ideas on making things they are doing easier. I would also send flash lights, batteries and maybe a small solar charger. Best wishes to you and your family.

4. rz3300

rz3300 Explorer

Well our thoughts are prayers are certainly going to anyone who is down there and affected by the storm. It is really sad when you hear about the reasons why aid is not getting down there when it seems so petty. I hope that things can get back to normal or as close it as soon as possible down there.

5. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

This is reminiscent of the great typhoon Yolanda in 2013 when the central province in the Philippines was devastated. Our housemaid’s family lost their home and livelihood because the farms were also destroyed. We sent money so they can buy a tent and plastic container for water. With food, they subsisted on cooked rice and nothing more. But the most important is the water and the shelter that we were able to provide. In calamities like that, the children should be given focus because they are the first ones to feel the hardship of the situation.

Draft saved Draft deleted