1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Fan knife

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Alexandoy, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

If you are using a Swiss knife then you probably would be surprised with the fan knife. It is actually just a simple knife that if foldable. Compared to the Swiss knife, it is not as utile. However, the fan knife is very handy when it comes to cutting wood. The blade is sturdy and sharp that campers normally use it to cut bamboo. And when you have a catch like fish or game, the fan knife will serve as the kitchen knife. However, fan knife is now only available in the southern province where they are made. Department stores don’t sell it.

2. Could you share a picture of a fan knife? Not sure that I have ever seen one before.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

3. Guess that was asking too much...oh well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

4. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...doin a little research here -

A butterfly knife, also known as a fan knife and in the Philippines as the balisong, is a folding pocket knife. Its distinction is two handles counter-rotating around the tang such that, when closed, the blade is concealed within grooves in the handles.

upload_2017-7-16_17-8-14.jpeg So...Alexandoy - is this what you are talking about?

Each to his own - I'm sticking with my Swiss knife and then also/may be my regular knife when I need too.

upload_2017-7-16_17-12-50.jpeg I have others as you might expect.

5. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

@Northern Dancer thank you for posting the picture of fan knife. That's exactly the fan knife I was talking about. I was in that province last Sunday and in a delicatessen store, there was this guy selling all kinds of knives, from bolo to fan knife. Maybe next time I go there, I will buy one so I can post my selfie with a fan knife.

Draft saved Draft deleted