1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Favorite camping food

Discussion in 'Food' started by JoshPosh, Oct 27, 2014.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

My mom use to cook most of the fish that we caught on our camping trips. But she did pack a few perishables. One of our favorite camping foods was a big can of pork and beans (family size), cooked over a open fire. Then you would cut pieces of hot dogs and throw it in the can. After that you serve it will some rice. Perfect camping food.

What's your favorite camping food?

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...brings back great memories - "wieners and beaners"! Back in time when I was out with buds for a long hike I cooked beans over an open fire. I just forgot to put a hole in the can to let out the steam. It is not recommended that you open a can of hot beans - you guest it. It rained beans for a fraction of a second.

qnw5yr.jpg I can taste them now!

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

My favourite camping food would probably be grilled cheese sandwiches. There are so many good camping foods that it is hard to choose but I think I'll go with that one. I like them better than when I make them at home in a frying pan because I like how cooking them over the fire drains all the grease off of them and the bread absorbs that nice "fire taste" really well. Sometimes I will put a few slices of ham in along with the cheese for a little extra protein.

Hahaha, I can imagine that now. Just an unsuspecting person struggling to pry open the lid of the can and then all sudden they ooze out all over the place. I'm glad you learned your lesson and I hope too many poor beans didn't go to waste :p

4. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Only did it once. Lost the whole can - a mini explosion - friends swore.

As you can appreciate I like some learning by accident, experiment or experience and will watch a green horn do the same thing without making any attempt to warn him. After all, it's only fair that one gets to learn things that will bring back fond memories in years to come. :):bear: I get the notion that this bear wonders why I pick him to join a happy face.

...and I Like grilled cheese with the traditional cream of tomato soup or the good ol fashioned Heinz tomato ketchup. :happy:

Draft saved Draft deleted