1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Favorite Camping Gear

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by missyify, Aug 12, 2016.

1. missyify

missyify Survivalist

It can be anything. One item in particular that's your absolute favorite piece of gear or your favorite from each category (such as cooking, supplies, fire starters, etc). Even items that are not necessarily camping gear, but that you have to take camping with you, such as fishing gear... Whatever comes to mind!

For me, my new rocket stove and my various fire starters.

I like my rocket stove because I can use stuff laying around to cook food and I feel better about having it in case I forget fuel. Also it's easier and faster than setting up the camp fire... Which I still do anyway, it just takes some of the pressure off if I'm working with wet wood or whatever else life throws at me. It's also very effective (almost burned my green beans because I underestimated it) and, when I pack it up, I can fit it in my purse with the magnesium fire starter.

Which brings me to my fire starters. Aside from matches and lighters, I have flint & steel, the magnesium starter, and a solar fire starter. I'm interested in learning other methods of fire starting as well, but I have fun with these for now.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

2. gracer

gracer Explorer

It's kinda hard to choose which gear I should consider as my favorite because I think I love them all. Lol! Anyway, being the mom in our group I consider my portable stove as my favorite because I love cooking on the site while my two boys enjoy bonding together with nature. Fire starters are also a must for me because I love bonding over marshmallows or grilling some fish on a campfire especially at nighttime. :)

missyify likes this.
  3. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

For me the situation will dictate the kind of equipment I use - I sure have a lot of it. I do an inventory once a year to keep in mind what I already have. There have been a couple of occasions that I have purchased something only to discover I already have it on the shelf.

But if I had to choose - canoe tripping equipment would be at the top of the list. And my favourite would be my Souris River Prospector canoe. Yah...that would be it!

IMG_0323.jpg

...she's a beauty.

gracer, killeroy154 and missyify like this.
  4. missyify

missyify Survivalist

That she is. I wish I could count my kayak, but, unless we do some straight up waterfront camping, Coral probably needs to stay home I think were going to Lake Kerr next. Maybe!

gracer likes this.
  5. missyify

missyify Survivalist

We can't do marshmallows anymore, but I found a recipe to make my own. I was also thinking hot dogs over the campfire would be good.

gracer likes this.
  6. gracer

gracer Explorer

Hotdogs are wonderful! :) My little boy also loves grilled hotdog on a stick. What I also like about them is that they're easy to prepare and they cook fast in direct fire. My son also loves to cook his own hotdog on a campfire. I always have to make sure though that his stick is longer than usual so he won't injure himself while he enjoys cooking his hotdog treat.

Draft saved Draft deleted