1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Favorite Foods that don't need Refrigeration

Discussion in 'Food' started by campforums, Jul 30, 2014.

1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

When you are camping it is okay to bring along some food that might spoil (like meat, milk or eggs) but you must make sure to finish it within the first day or so. For longer trips it is more important to plan out what you will eat each day and the expiry for each item. For example, you would probably want to cook and eat your burgers first followed by any fresh fruits or vegetables and then lastly your grains or dried goods.

Making a meal out of things that can last more than a week is tricky, what are some of your favorite foods or products to take on longer camping trips?

2. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

I dehydrate stews, I carry stuff like granola bars and almond butter, and I love jerky. Also things that are smokes or that are backed into well-sealed cans. Honestly I'm not really a picky eater all things considered.

3. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

Granola bars, power bars sound good to bring. The thing about those things is you can bring like a Lock-n-Lock carry bag that has the ability to have icepacks in it. This way you can make sure your granola bars don't melt if they have chocolate in them.

4. weekender

weekender Newbie

I love bringing beef jerky to camps. They are so convenient you can even eat them without having to sit down for a meal. Nuts are also great source of protein and energy. Other staples we bring during camps include saltine crackers, potted meat removed from the can and transferred to plastic containers, and of course, the all-time favorite - granola bars.

5. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Oatmeal is also a really good one that I just remembered.

6. Sweetkymom

Sweetkymom Newbie

Jerky, oatmeal, peanut butter, nuts, fruits, vegetables are just a few I can think of off the top of my head. Ohhhh, I remembered something else. We bought up some pouches of meats that you can buy at the sports stores that are like space foods. Some are good but most were gross!

7. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

I do keep some my fruits in the refrigerator like the peaches and nectarines to stay fresh. Its been years since I even had beef jerky. Honey roasted peanuts are good to carry with you while camping.

8. ashley0323

ashley0323 Novice Camper

Since we only use a cooler and a bag of ice, instead of a fridge, its sometimes a pain in the butt to keep more than a few items cold. Instead, we like to take nuts, seeds, fruits, crackers and cheese, trail mix, dehydrated fruit, peanut butter and jelly sandwich stuff, muffins, chips, cheezits, etc.

9. gracer

gracer Explorer

For food that will last us for days without needing any refrigeration, I would always pack some ready to eat meals available in pouches and some packs of instant noodles. I also love having packs of loaf bread and spreads which are also available in pouches. For the rest of our meals, whenever we have the chance to fish, we would usually cook them under a camp fire.

10. scrapper

scrapper Novice Camper

My favorite one is, hands down: Honey. Sweet, sweet, sticky honey :p. It also has antibacterial properties, so don't expect to spoil soon, or ever (A slew of factors—its acidity, its lack of water and the presence of hydrogen peroxide—work in perfect harmony, allowing the sticky treat to last forever and ever).

There are a few other examples of foods that keep–indefinitely–in their raw state: salt, sugar, dried rice are a few. But there’s something about honey; it can remain preserved in a completely edible form, and while you wouldn’t want to chow down on raw rice or straight salt *yuck*, one could ostensibly dip into a thousand year old jar of honey and enjoy it, without preparation, as if it were a day old.

11. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

I remember during my high school days, I would bring a big bread and cheese for my emergency food in camping. The big bread is called monay which is as big as a loaf but not sliced. It is good to eat even without the cheese but cheese is is the best partner of the big bread. It can last for days without worry as long as it is sealed. That may be my comfort food during that time because it was my favorite snack and can also be a meal.

12. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

Alexandoy, tell us more about big bread. Monay, is it like Bannock bread? Do you make it yourself? If yes, do you care to share your recipe with us, I'm always up for trying things like this. After all good and I get along very well! b563a531eaf61976da48aaf4f70e1b47.jpg

Bibsoutdoors

Attached Files:

13. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail Novice Camper

Whenever we go on road trips or sight seeing, we always bring bread with either cheese and bacon or just tuna. We also bring chips and food that are cooked with soy sauce so it won't spoil fast. We also make our own burgers or tacos to save a lot instead of buying it outside :) Then we will bring a big jar for our drinks, as well as an ice chest with bottled drinks like juice and soft drinks :D

14. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...the standard for me while hiking or paddling is the ol' fashion gorp (trail mix).

upload_2017-3-13_16-59-14.jpeg It can be just about anything you want it to be.

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  15. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

This is the second day of looking at that trail mix, I want some!

Bibsoutdoors

16. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...you can easily make your own. Just throw in what you want. Peanuts, cashews, walnuts, hazelnuts, raisins, pretzels, dried fruit, smarties, gummie bites, skittles, and the like. Keep in mind sport fans that the mix is loaded with calories for which it is intended. Get the stuff from the Bulk Barn or a similar kind of store. And yes...you can buy gorp packaged in just about any grocery store.

upload_2017-3-14_12-14-7.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted