1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Finding a good Tent

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by Saul Goodman, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I like it all. Winter camping has it's challenges and that's why it is fun. The reality is that I just can't wait for the few summer months and since I have the equipment I just enjoy. But it's true, I can be mesmerized by a campfire.

campforums likes this.
  2. Northern Dancer

Good for you Noah - we are few, you and I. When I'm out this weekend I will drink a toddy to your health and prosperity at my campfire.

Saul Goodman and campforums like this.
  3. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

I don't know if I've posted this elsewhere on here or not. (Early senior moment) I know I've given people this list on other forums.
    Reasons Winter Camping Rules:
    • Empty campgrounds
    • No bugs
    • No critters (usually)
    • No dust
    • Pretty scenery
    • Quieter
    • Moonlit night hikes
    • No ice runs every other day
    • Beer stays cold
    • You don't stink
    • Your friends don't stink
    • HUGE fires

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Well it is the first time I've seen it. Those are some good reasons, maybe I can try easing into it by going in the fall... then progressing to winter camping. Mostly I only go during the summer.

5. Northern Dancer

...well you see....I 'm not so spaced out after all. Good points Senior ...err... may I call you Señor MacGyver?

There is a whole lot of campfire truth in what you say. And on top of that it's cold too.
    :cool:

Saul Goodman likes this.
  6. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

Im watching these reality shows about people living like their ancestors once did. Anyways, this one group is trying to set up a teepee and it arouses my curiosity. I think it would be cool to be able to have a small fire in the Teepee for cooking and warmth. Sure you don't want ot burn the whole thing down, just keep the fire small and in control.

tipi_camping_fire.JPG

campforums likes this.
  7. Northern Dancer

I have two Teepees (pictured below). The don't have a fire ring. The native Teepees are large and there is provision for a fire in the middle of the tent to permit cooking and heating accordingly.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSa_QQDWefCa42kFbhjL0wgWkjpV6qFICE_PxMYFVePFGZJCQQM6A.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1w5bES0PxihlCFsqTys2SXdpNRY9UhXUmni_izw8aFKv8IpMz.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNKht7vVcd7Dve4v2fEjWZz5h7hNuQzfcJxdAt6whkwUOjnCd_gQ.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeaws8yvJnpfxKvsO0MT_ErL23ZsH0AItwJ-V7qryF_f9PaZ6cHQ.jpg

campforums and Saul Goodman like this.
  8. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

Yep... I looked at full-size teepees. If nothing else, it would have been a great conversation piece. If it weren't for the 20+ foot poles they need, I would have bought one instead of the cabin tent. Instead of an open fire in the middle, I'd thought to adapt it to a woodstove. Unfortunately, I didn't want to put a ladder rack on my truck just to accommodate the poles

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    campforums and Saul Goodman like this.
  9. Northern Dancer

I hear ya...I had the same thoughts, that's why I bought the one I have. It has one study steel pole in the middle. I have decorated it for fun. Actually it is an okay tent. The other one I've rarely used because I don't like the fact that the front door does not close all the way around. For some reason the manufacturer did not put in a bottom door zipper. I thought that strange.

10. campforums

But you've got a wood burning stove for you other tent? I suppose that could be adapted to fit into the Teepee?

11. Northern Dancer

:)

I suppose I could do that....but I have two other tents that come with a stove jack.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  12. campforums

Does that mean the Teepees are summer only camping tents?

13. Northern Dancer

:)

They really are. Though....no, I guess not - I'm not buying anther tent.

:bear: Don't give him any ideas.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  14. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

I wish I could stop looking at tents. I love the tents I have, but I'm always looking for "the next great thing". Unfortunately, pretty much everything I look at now runs into hundreds of dollars, even over a thousand - especially considering that I'm looking into custom made canvas.

15. campforums

Well you could bring the teepee winter camping without the stove... Although you might end up becoming frozen until the following spring!

Most hobbies end up being this way unfortunately it seems. The more into it you get the more you appreciate the finer details (those cost lots of money!)

16. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman Explorer

Wow! the Teepee looks so great on the inside! You need to tell me where you bought the furnitures, the carpets and the pillows? it looks very awesome!

campforums likes this.
  17. Northern Dancer

:(

I do the same thing - I think I've seen every tent that was ever made. I purchased my last tent last year - I really don't need any more.

:bear: Ya - that's what he always says - but somehow...

campforums likes this.
  18. Northern Dancer

:thumbsup:

To clarify matters - the first beautiful, gorgeous T-pee that I would love to own - alas is not mine. The bottom two are. And though I furnish my tent space lavishly I don't think it compares with glampers.

GLAMPING _ a new word for a new kind of travel, defined as glamorous camping. When you're glamping, there's no tent to pitch, no sleeping bag to unroll, no fire to build.

Saul Goodman likes this.
  19. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman Explorer

Thats not the kind of camping im in! camping needs (for me) a bit of survival, but i want this Teepee in my Garden! Chilling with my buddys on the weekends :)

20. Northern Dancer

:smuggrin:

You would be the talk of the village. I'm the same - give me a sturdy canoe that can take me to bearadise. I'm certainly not into glamping - I couldn't afford it anyway.

21. campforums

Sounds like what you are after for this situation is a gazebo:

gazebos_woodOblong_main500px.jpg

Saul Goodman likes this.
  22. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman Explorer

thats quite cool!

23. Northern Dancer

21233.jpg
    21245.jpg
    This year, Nemo brings us tall, livable space with the Wagon top 4P. As the name implies, its arched structure draws inspiration from the iconic Conestoga wagons of the American old west.

There is a whole article and more pics of this product on gearjunkie.

:bear: Tempting ain't it?

Saul Goodman likes this.
  24. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

I can't say I've ever been too keen on Nemo's tents. I've seen a few set up and, for the money they ask, I think you can do better with other big names. I mean they're nice, well-constructed, with quality material, but daaaamn - ease off my wallet!

Draft saved Draft deleted