1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

First aid kit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Hobbit, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Hobbit

Hobbit Novice Camper

What do you make sure to have in your first aid kit when camping?

Any funky bits for sorting out splinters or just a needle?
    Antiseptic for grazes or just wash some water over it and whack a plaster on it?

Hopefully no one has ever needed a splint or a cast kit for a broken limb or a sling for a dislocation......

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

....@Hobbit - you come up with some really fantastic ideas Dude!

I taught first aid for twenty years and because I trained Scout Leaders I also added some of the wilderness modules.

So...about the first aid kit? I don't go cheap and I think specifically about the wilderness experience. The last thing I need is a pare of scissors that don't cut, tiny bandages good for nothing. fancy sprays and whole box of other useless items that are put there to make money. I stay away from those crummy little pocket packs and small containers of anything that dry up quickly and can only be used once.

So what do I recommend? Other than doing a thorough examination of the packs each year and taking a first aid course?

I want to hear what other people have to say first.
    + Then I'll add my 2 cents worth. +
    :bear: Baden Bear says, "You will have to remind Northern Dancer there are no pennies in Canada anymore - they have been done away with."

3. Hobbit

Hobbit Novice Camper

So far I have tweezers, needle, plasters, insect bite cream, wasp sting cream, scissors and, for some reason, eletrical tape.
    I'm not exactly prepared for an ER operation :p

4. Northern Dancer

...@Hobbit - sooooooo - exactly what is your first aid kit for?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTD4OhsgAhMen0o3T0073KngHE_kgBS-1kf0K34yNU6d3a5TipTqw.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSJ87rc7HmCXnILj6seYPhOsZBKrN0xVjBbHksE5yVnU3tiSrfN.jpg

5. Hobbit

Hobbit Novice Camper

Fingers crossed, just the odd graze, splinter or bite.

I think I should add mobile phone to my kit. If what happened in that photo happened to me, forget the plasters, 999/911 it is!

6. Northern Dancer

Surprisingly we haven't had a lot of serious stuff but there have been some issues. We are very careful about food preparation/handling and filtration of the water we drink. For the interior we have a wilderness field kit that has plaster bandages for large wounds and cuts. AR masks, gloves, smelling salts, stuff for strains (which is a common experience), tick removers, butter fly stripes, crazy glue, insect bite disinfectants, thermometers, yes we carry Tylenol, arm and leg fracture units (the blow up kind), space blanket, cold compresses and such.

Keep in mind we are in the interior and away from a central place when we are canoeing....and those telephones? Don't work in our area. There has been some thought about purchasing a beacon - we just can't get around the price.

Most of the guys have first aid training (Standard being the lowest level - St. John Ambulance no less).

This is a really good topic. I rarely see any first aid kits and many of the ones that I have seen are cheap and useless. Good kits cost money. But...you have to justify the expense. If you are out for more than fives days or so you need something a bit better. :blackeye: Day I say anything about a dog kit? :)

Draft saved Draft deleted