1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

First Aid Kit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by MrX, Dec 12, 2012.

1. MrX

MrX Newbie

Its always important for you to keep the First Aid Kit handy when ur out on a picnic or camping..these places are always prune to small injuries..we only have enjoyment in our minds but safety and health should also be given importance..for me..I always make sure we have the first Aid Kit ready with us when we are out...our kits have

Pain Killers, Antiseptic Cream, Band Aids, Crepe Bandage and other common medical things in my kit!!

2. Panda©

Panda© Newbie

This is great advice, the great outdoors has a habit of biting you so always be prepared for small emergencies and accidents, because you can be sure they will happen

3. stiflex

stiflex Newbie

Really good advice, the outdoors might sound relaxing and peaceful, but if you're not careful - the great outdoors might end up a nightmare for you. :/

4. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

It is better to be safe than sorry or having to jury-rig a solution - burning a wound close just isn't any fun. I will say drinking the pain away is rather more enjoyable - much more then cleaning a wound with alcohol.

5. Kodaks

Kodaks Newbie

I got this First Aid kit last Christmas:
    http://www.amazon.com/OUTDOOR-CAMPING-BOATING-FISHING-HUNTING/dp/B001GRSI3C/ref=sr_1_19?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1356526074&sr=1-19

I like how condensed it is and easy to carry.

6. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

A snake bite kit is also a good idea. Very small and can save a life. It is amazing what you can put together in a small waterproof case that floats. Also have so parachute cord and make a lanyard to connect the first aid kit to yourself so you do not drop it.

7. TABL

TABL Explorer

Snake bites. Ouch!!

We made our own kit. It's great.

8. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

I came up on a 12-foot rattle snake while hiking the woods - anti-venom is a wonderful thing that everyone should carry at one point or another.

9. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

Well the problem with anti venom in Florida is that we have several types of poisonous snakes although rattlesnakes would be the most likely offender on land.

One thing I always do when walking in the woods is to use a stout walking stick. for one, as you walk with it the end hits the ground and the vibrations will warn away most snakes. Aslo, if you do encounter one, you can use the stick to fend it away.

10. Toxique

Toxique Newbie

Yes, A safety kit and be very helpful to you when camping. Good advice indeed.

11. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

I try to hike in places that generally won't see me stepping on a snake by accident. I would carry a stick, but no. I find them an impediment.

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Newbie

I saw on fieldandstream.com that you can use your home vacuum sealer, the one that moms like me have for keeping food fresh, to vacuum seal a first aid kit. I think that's an awesome idea and it's another use for my Foodsaver machine. I don't like one-use kitchen appliances, so using my food sealer to make a waterproof first aid kit makes me feel better about the fact that I actually spent money on a vacuum sealer.

82103aeadf40ce6afbe4e544dd379bc0.jpg

13. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Why do you need to vacuum seal your first aid kit? Doesn't that make it difficult every time you need to access something in there? I keep mine a nylon bag with zippers and pockets, I've had it for a few years and its been holding up well so far.

14. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

If you have the sealer and you need to keep the FAK protected for a longer time (like leaving it in a remote cabin) it's not a bad idea. For normal use I would also just use a plastic zip bag.

You should even put a couple of extra bags in the kit. You might need them to carry and purify water (with those purification tabs).

15. Karto

Karto Newbie

I never EVER go camping without it.

It's one thing that I think people forget. You can never know what happens, and you only think about it WHEN it happens.

Anyway, if the first injury without a first aid kit is not serious, you'll definitely remember to take it with you from then on :)

16. Steph741

Steph741 Newbie

This is great advice for everyone to have a safety kit. You never know when you might really need it and it can come in very handy! This should be on everyone's list when the are about to go camping.

17. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

I think it's a great idea to have a first aid kit around. If you get a first aid kit make sure you know how to use it contents properly that are inside the kit. I would take a first aid/CPR class just to get some basic training in medical emergencies. Alot of times jobs will pay for your class just to have someone with that knowledge on staff.

18. lindsay365

lindsay365 Newbie

Great that is a nice advice Injuries like; minor cuts, scratches and scrapes, minor burns, bee stings and bug bites, blisters, and rashes are the most likely to occur when camping. these kinds of injuries may not require a doctor but this does not mean you have all that pain without any vain leaving material. this where the need of a first aid kit may be needed.

19. shaneparkins

shaneparkins Newbie

Yikes! Well I would check with local tourist boards about the wildlife they have there - there would be nothing worse than getting bit or not preparing for a worse case scenario - camping can be dangerous it's always good advice to carry a first aid kid and a satellite phone if you are in a bad signal area or don't have transport. It's essential to stay safe - after all you are off the grid.

20. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

I would like to recommend that everyone should run through a basic first aid/cpr class just to have some basic medical knowledge if someone is injuried. I think it is very important not just to have a first aid kit on hand when camping ,but also know what's in it and how to use the kit properly before heading out. It doesn't do any good to have a first aid kit in my opinion if you don't know what half the stuff treats inside it.

Draft saved Draft deleted