1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

First Look at Upcoming 2017 Camping Gear

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by campforums, Aug 1, 2016.

1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...I get the distinct impression that the manufacturers are running out of good ideas. I also note what ever they come up with are expensive items that challenge the rationale of anyone who would purchase the same.

One of the better things they have come out with recently are the waterproof materials use to manufacturer tents. There is the whole solar energy stuff too that is proving to be interesting.
    Canoes can be a lot less heavy today [my 16 footer is 41 pounds] and there have been other innovative ideas.

For my canoe trip beginning next Sunday I will have a light tent and sleeping pad, one barrel to carry food, cloths, sleeping bag, tarp and first aid kit. This is all possible because the materials used make just about everything lighter.

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I understand this sentiment. I work in tech and one trend I have noticed is to remake every product you can think of as a "smart" version. For some things there is simply no benefit of attaching a microcontroller and sensor that connects to your smartphone. Most of the really dumb ones have to do with stuff in your kitchen. Bottles, eating utensils, garbage cans, etc.

I am starting to see this sort of thing for camping gear too, which I think is what a lot of people go camping to get away from.

4. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> :)

I'm a lot happier, it seems, when I have less clutter in my life. You may find it strange - but I don't watch television, I select radio stations carefully - usually the ones with less commercials [which are few]. I don't have a 'phone either - there isn't anyone to call. I've stopped reading newspapers though a serious reader enjoying comedy, mystery and adventure. I watch what excites me and I limit my friendships though I am involved with throngs of people. I love what I do and have never complained.

I crave quiet and solitude though people will testify that I can be a comic and get people laughing. I'm notorious for the one liner.

I suppose that is why I'm a serious camper in what ever form it comes.

5. missyify

missyify Survivalist

Out of that list, probably the Yakima roof top tent. My van is 7' tall and pretty large & boxy. I'd probably have room for a picnic area, too lol. Also the cooling shirt because thanks to cooling towels, a person notorious for passing out in the heat like me, can enjoy being outside more. Although passing out comes in handy for getting into amusement parks faster, it's not a good thing for camping.

Other than those, I don't really see anything that piques my interest as the lowlier versions that I do have work fine.

Solar intrigues me but not for camping. I tried it once and I have yet to determine a use for it. I tried charging my phone to take pictures, that was it, but I have a camera and a gopro with sufficient charges. I would like to have solar when we move... Right now we are looking into yurts. We are also more minimal with electronics and tech. My husband and I generally don't watch tv unless it's youtubing how to do something. The kids may watch a few shows a week, but it's commercial free and nothing mindnumbing (Spongebob, ugh).

My grandpa made fun of my rocket stove, he said it was something Christopher Columbus would have used. Well, I mean, people make fun of me a lot because I go around picking weeds and I don't own a couch, but my quality of life is a lot better with less health problems than when I was in my teens and early 20s. I also manage my son's eczema without the use of steroids anymore thanks to my love of intact weeds, herbalism, and general nerdiness. Who's the real winner?

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

Northern Dancer likes this.
  6. actadh

actadh Pathfinder

Missyifi picked the two that caught my eye. Rooftop tents intrigue me, but I have a fear of heights, so I would have to wait for an elevator version.

missyify likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted